DIY Mastering - OTB vs ITB?

Discussion in 'Mastering' started by innerbooty, Apr 14, 2003.

1. innerbooty

innerbooty Guest

Greetings,
    I'm finishing up a CD project with a client, and I'm starting to think about mastering. There's little to no budget - or time before the CD release - so a mastering house is out. The project was trackewd on a Mix+ system with a Rosetta AD @ 44.1K 24-Bit. I have the software L2, Waves Gold bundle and McDSP Filter & Compressorbanks. I'm obviously hoping the mixes sound good enough so that just a little compression and the L2 should be all we need. However, in the past I once had great results with a project that I had to get down from 48K DAT masters to 44.1K with renting an Apoge DA1000 & AD1000, and sending the mixes through a Neve 33609. I don't need to do an SRC this time around however, and I'm wondering if the benefit of going through the 33609 for a couple of db of overall compression is worth the extra conversion step. I'd probably rent a PSX-100 for the DA, then back in through the Rosetta. Is there another compressor I could/should rent that might be better than the Neve? Or should I just keep it in the box...?
    Thanks for any tips you guys have! - Steve

2. Michael Fossenkemper

Michael Fossenkemper Distinguished past mastering moderator Well-Known Member

as the old saying goes, let your ears decide. I have no problem going through a conversion if the piece i'm using makes it sound better.

3. Doug Milton

Doug Milton Active Member

Steve,

The single RU SSL compressor is pretty nice. Also, the PSX goes both ways so you could use it for both D/A and A/D avoiding any clock issues…