1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Do you actually have to

Discussion in 'Recording' started by MyRearview, Nov 24, 2009.

1. MyRearview

MyRearview Guest

Do you actually have to yell into da mic to make it sound as somebody is yelling on the track? cuz i use Rode nt 1000 and dont think that its going to handle some yelling if u know what i mean,Is there a way to get it done with an effekt? :)

2. cfaalm

cfaalm Active Member

Yell as in "a loud vocal passage"? I guess you have to yell to make it sound like yelling. I can't think of an effect that would accomplish that.

Sure you can add some grit to the sound with a slightly clipping tube or a distortion unit, but that's about it. You'd still have to yell, though.

What would prevent overloading the mic is having some distance between the yeller and the mic. Also have a close look on the meter/peak led and tweak the gain accordingly.

3. MadTiger3000

MadTiger3000 Active Member

You still have to yell. The tone color of a yell is different than regular conversation, and also different from a whisper, even if the second two are boosted in volume to give the same apparent loudness as the yell.

4. jg49

jg49 Well-Known Member

The hardest thing is getting good levels while recording yelling especially if you are going from a normal voice to a full scream or yell. Most trained vocalists will just move back away from the mic as they do this and that helps with smoothing out a recording level. As far as the idea of can the mic "take it?" That mic has a dynamic range to 134 db and a maximum of 140 db (jet engine at 100') also the point most people experience true pain. Here is a chart of equivalent db levels

http://www.gcaudio.com/resources/howtos/loudness.html
    So if you are a foot away yelling is unlikely to damage the mic just use a pop filter to keep your breath away from the diaphragm.

5. MyRearview

MyRearview Guest

Thanks!! this info was really really helpful :D

6. RemyRAD

RemyRAD Well-Known Member

Pad on on the microphone. Pad on on the preamp. Gain down, Limiter on. As Simple As 1-2-3.

Still learning mathematics
    Mx. Remy Ann David