1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Do you need hardware to run ProTools?

Discussion in 'Pro Tools' started by emokidsimon, Oct 29, 2005.

1. emokidsimon

emokidsimon Guest

Do you need hardware to run ProTools?

Simon.

2. Caisson

Caisson Guest

no. if your just doing mixing or mastering( uploading files into your PC)you can use PT just for that with no hardware...... if your recording you do need digidesign hardware as an interface, and you can also use M-audio products (M-Powered) to run with PT (so its either M-audio or digidesign to run with PT) but I believe the list of interfaces will go up in the next couple of months.

3. JamesG

JamesG Guest

that is untrue, you need digidesign hardware attached for protools to launch.

4. mark_van_j

mark_van_j Active Member

I believe you cannot. However if you have an m-audio soundcard (check the list of compatibilities) you can purchase PT - M powered for around 300$. I don't know how the program differs from LE though.

5. johnnyl

johnnyl Guest

Is this something new? for as long as I've been using PT you've needed an interface just for it to open. I've always wanted to be able to use it for editing without an interface.LMK.

6. johnthemiracle

johnthemiracle Active Member

pro tools software will not launch as long as there is no digidesign or maudio (depending on the software version) interface attached.

7. johnnyl

johnnyl Guest

That's what I thought. Although PT Free for Mac OS9 opens without an interface. I hope one day they make a version of PT that'll open without one. Maybe with an ilok or something. There are times I want to edit on a laptop without lugging around an mbox.

8. hociman

hociman Active Member

3 options

Your hardware-less options are Pro Tools FREE (v5) or Pro Tools Powermix for OS 8 (did this cost $?), or Pro Tools v3.4, the first free version of Pro Tools (OS 8).

9. johnnyl

johnnyl Guest

Re: 3 options

Thanks. But they've come a long way since those versions. it just makes sense to have an edit only version of PT. Especially for film work.

10. hociman

hociman Active Member

indeed

I don't disagree, but the reality is that Pro Tools Free for OS X appears to be in the "we get to it when we get to it" pile.

11. johnnyl

johnnyl Guest

Re: indeed

As in never!

12. arbiter

arbiter Guest

I checked with one of our install technicians on this.
    ProTools M-powered is iLok protected, (unlike PTLE) but it will not launch without one of the compatible M-Audio interfaces installed on the system.

Wow...that seems redundant. I would of thought you'd just need the iLok.

13. hociman

hociman Active Member

$$$, $

I suspect this was done so that everyone using the software has to pay for the upgrade. The hardware would be your key to using the software, the iLok asset would be your key to having legit software.