1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Does anyone still slate takes?

Discussion in 'Pro Audio Equipment' started by drumsound, May 1, 2001.

1. drumsound

drumsound Active Member

Hi all,
    I've been listening to the third Chicago album a lot lately. It starts with the last bit of an engineer slating the take. You hear a very distinct "One" followed by tuning, warming up etc.

It got me to wondering if people still slate takes, on the multitrack, and/or the mixes. Does anyone here do it? I think I may start, especially on my newly rebuilt 2".

2. anonymous

anonymous Guests

Yep. Every one of them. That way when I listen to the 'tracking takes' later in another environment, I know which take is which.

Same with mixes, I may have 10+ "printed mixes" of a song, with a slate I know which one I'm hearing when I'm listening to them in another environment...like the car. Then again, I don't yet have a CD player in my car, so perhaps if I ever get a car with a CD player I won't need to...but until then...slates work wonders.

[I don't bother with 'slate tones' as I'm pretty anal about leadering everything (analog domain stuff)].

3. alphajerk

alphajerk Active Member

fletcher, you sound like a joy to work with in analog [no sarcasm intended]. i bet it would be cool with digital too, dragging out all those cool toys, learn a thing or two about compression.

no i dont "slate takes" now that im fully digital. i did when i used analog but i muted them out fairly soon after tracking. i do label my mixes digitally now with applicable comments. i even include notes in the markers of different takes, so visually all the information is included and then some.