1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Does burning candles in the studio cause harm to Mic's

Discussion in 'Recording' started by dbeng@bellsouth.net, Aug 26, 2001.

1. What do you think?

2. Ang1970

Ang1970 Well-Known Member

I doubt it. But even if so, I would rather send my mic out to get cleaned every few years than not have hit songs with inspired vocals.

3. Solfatio

Solfatio Guest

Agreed. =D

4. dbock

dbock Guest

As long as you don't hold the mic over the candle.....

5. mwagener

mwagener Active Member

A few years ago somebody brought in some big (cheap) fragrant candles. After about a month the airconditioning outlets had a black sud on them and when I took my DA-88s in for service they had the same black stuff inside. Turns out, the candles were releasing petroleum into the air and that is not good for the electronics. I assume microphones could be harmed by that too.

Make sure you burn "clean" candles or it can be costly.

6. Solfatio

Solfatio Guest

Originally posted by mwagener:
    A few years ago somebody brought in some big (cheap) fragrant candles. After about a month the airconditioning outlets had a black sud on them and when I took my DA-88s in for service they had the same black stuff inside. Turns out, the candles were releasing petroleum into the air and that is not good for the electronics. I assume microphones could be harmed by that too.

Make sure you burn "clean" candles or it can be costly.

Yeah, and just think about that fragrance sitting there in your lungs, too. ;)

Do you think burning candles is any worse than letting the musicians smoke?

Hmmm....

7. Bear's Gone Fission

Bear's Gone Fission Active Member

Do you think burning candles is any worse than letting the musicians smoke?

Cigarette smoke is supposed to be about the worst thing for analog tape. Leaves a sticky residue on everything, dirty as hell. I imagine marijuana smoke isn't much better, as I recall the wonders of reusing resin in a pipe. Why do you think so many ebay listings make a point that the gear was in a smoke free studio?

For the whole issue of is it bad for the mic, none of this stuff is ideal, nor is a singer who just had lunch, but some people in the mic biz will do clean-ups. I think SPA will clean grunge of the diaphragm as well as do other checkup/restoration stuff, and you don't have to do a rebuild to get them to clean your mic up. Probably worthwhile for any high ticket vocal mic in a busy studio to get this treatment at some point.

Bear