1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

does more RAM = more plug-ins??

Discussion in 'Recording' started by thevessels, Aug 14, 2003.

1. thevessels

thevessels Guest

im runnin an old dual 450 (512 ram) on OS X.2 . with a digi 002 rack....i love it so much..best resuts..but i can only have so many plugins without it telling me to increase the buffer size. wich is allready maxed.
    i run on average 12-15 tracks with about 2 or 3 plugs on each..jst compressors and 4 band eq's..
    i also have 2 vocal tracks with auto tune
    any more autio tune tracks and it wont play (which is understandable)
    i also have the complete tracks suie runnin on my master.
    if i upgraded to a gig of ram would i be able to maybee add some more high usage plugins like auto tune and mic mod?
    or are my dual 450 processers doin all the work..which is un-upgradable at the moment..
    thanks for your help.
    -chris

2. pumpcat

pumpcat Guest

no, more RAM wont get you moreplug-ins A faster processor will.

If you run out of processing power, print the tracks with FX to new tracks and disable the originals.

3. Hey,
    It sounds like you are getting pretty good performance out of your computer, running that many at once with Autotune on two tracks. Processing your tracks will help, but be aware that it creates new audio files (thereofore taking up disk space).
    David

4. Alécio Costa - Brazil

Alécio Costa - Brazil Well-Known Member

if ya had a TDM mix system, you would be able to open much more plugs. TDM coming from Digi PCI cards and RTAs from the host. You´d better print the autotune tracks so as to free up some dsp power. A more powerful MAc would be a breeze to your life, at least a G4 800 Qs with 1 GB of RAM.

5. UncleBob58

UncleBob58 Active Member

Process the tracks with Audio Suite, then take the Plugins off the track. If you do not like the results later on you can always recall the original track to its time spot.

Uncle Bob

:p:

6. BlackTalon

BlackTalon Guest

I wish this post was up earlier when I went out and but a bunch of memory for nothing :) , good thing I could still bring it back.

7. Pootkao

Pootkao Guest

Its been said already, but printing tracks and even bouncing submixes once you're getting close to the end of a mix can help free up space.

Using 4band EQ isn't always necessary, also. If you're just using one or two bands, just use a couple 1band eqs. I know its small potatoes, but the 4bands add up.

8. Alécio Costa - Brazil

Alécio Costa - Brazil Well-Known Member

digirack one band eq/waves 1 band Q.
    disable the original unprocessed tracks so you do not lose voices . If later on ya change up your mind, you will still have the pure milk.

9. millionvalve

millionvalve Guest

Think about it like this:

A faster processor will allow you moreplug-ins

More RAM will allow you to load up more samples in something like, say, Reason.

.nick

10. Steve Jones

Steve Jones Active Member

Unless you really can't afford it, keep the RAM. It allows you to set larger track buffers and in general to have a smoother running computer. It may not give you more plugs, but there are definately other benefits.