1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Does Pro Tools automatically dither when bouncing to disk?

Discussion in 'Pro Tools' started by JensenBohren, Mar 26, 2007.

1. JensenBohren

JensenBohren Guest

One of my clients approached me and asked if I could 'master' his recording. I told him that I put Maxim and get the overall level up to -.5dB, but I wouldn't do any more than that, and that he'd have to get someone else if he thought it nessissary.

He then asked if I used dither when I bounced the session to 16-bit, 44.1K Stereo (CD) file in Pro Tools, as someone told him it was nessissary (probably the same one who asked him about mastering).

As far as I understood it, Pro Tools doesn't need dither, as it takes the file and then converts it, not recording it as it plays.
    ...or am I wrong, and do I need to turn on Maxim's dither button before I bounce down the files in Pro Tools?

2. Boswell

Boswell Moderator Distinguished Member

It doesn't matter whether you are using ProTools or some other package for creating your master, you need to dither to the 16-bit level on the final reduction for the 44.1KHz CD. Don't dither at any other time such as importing/exporting between different packages or plug-ins.

3. song4gabriel

song4gabriel Active Member

yes they do.always dithe the last stage

4. JIT

JIT Guest

Maxim has a dithering option included in it or you could just insert a dither plug-in.

5. Music_Junky

Music_Junky Active Member

Pro Tools does not automatically dither when bouncing to disk so you have to use a plug to do it.

6. song4gabriel

song4gabriel Active Member

woops. unky is right. pt does not do it auto...sorry :)