1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Dolby "warble" tone? What is this?

Discussion in 'Pro Audio Equipment' started by Boom Chic, Mar 23, 2002.

  1. Boom Chic

    Boom Chic Guest

    Delivery specs for a project ask for Dolby "warble" tone. This is on a Digibeta. I'm at a total loss. Dolby has no info on "warble tone".
    What is it, and what is it used for, and how can I generate it?

  2. RobinH

    RobinH Guest

    Sounds like the carrier wave dolby would use to encode the information. I have no idea how you would get this though. Maybee ask technical support for your equipment.
  3. anonymous

    anonymous Guests

    I have heard it and I be damned if I can remember what the hell its for eactly

    (calibration obviously but what in particular)

    I bet someone here remembers!

    It warbles like a muted, underwater, 1k test tone..
  4. The Dolby "Warble Tone" is for calibration of the Dolby Professional noise reduction system (Type A, perhaps others ) . It is to be placed on the tape reel so that the system may be recalibrated for proper playback.

    It sounds weird so that it may be distinguished from other calibration tones. While it sounds as though it varies in level, it does not. Without that tone any adjustment for playback on a Dolby system is hit or miss. :(
  5. In addition, the tone is generated from within the Dolby encoder.

    The tone is generated and read with the Dolby Process OFF.

    If yOu need further information,contact me and I will lookit up in my service manuals. :w:
  6. RecorderMan

    RecorderMan Distinguished Member


Share This Page