1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Drum Mic Package question...

Discussion in 'Drums' started by prswamp, May 3, 2003.

1. prswamp

prswamp Guest

I am looking into getting some mics for recording drums. Was thinking about getting the Shure Drum pack which comes with a Beta 52, and 3 sm57s.

I use 57s for toms already, but my question is, is the Beta 52 a good bass drum mic. I know the AKG is the standard for bass drums. Is the 52 close enough. The thing I like about the Shure pack is that is has the mounts for the 57s for the toms or snare. That and the fact that I know I will always have use for extra 57s.

Is there another pack I should look at or should I just buy separate mics...

Thanks!

2. mixman77

mixman77 Guest

I have used Shure mics for years as they are always on riders. About 3 years ago I started using the Audix D series mics and really like the way they sound. They also have nifty clips for the toms. Take a look at http://www.audixusa.com

Cheers,

Kevin

3. prswamp

prswamp Guest

Have you used the Audix D-series mics successfully on any other instruments?

I'd like to get a good bang for the buck if I can...

Thanks for the insight!

4. quadwould

quadwould Guest

I would have to second the vote ofr the Audix D4.
    i love it for Kick! can get a great all around sound or can get just the click. i have also had great sucess with it on bass and guitar cabs. with the best results yielding from a Mesa 4x12 rectifier cab.
    it can also be used as a floor tom mic with nice results. and once i got some pretty good sounds from it when micing an upright bass.
    so... i would say it is versitile.

for toms, i prefer using Sennheiser e604's.
    they sound great on toms, and are also very good for guitar cabs/combos.
    and they claim to be good for brass.....
    check:
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=030504130603159092100072379378/g=/search/detail/base_id/48851

just an example of how much a 3 pack is..... not really a fan of musicians feind though.

are you thinkng about overheads, or is that covered?

to cap off, (so you can get an idea of how i work w/drums) Beta57 on top of snare w/sm57 on bottom (some times phase rev, sometimes not... whichever sounds better), a 414 in front of the kick, kick-bench covered in blankets-414 great low end. 2 414s for overheads or 2 sm81s. also sm81 on hats.

just my $.02

5. prswamp

prswamp Guest

Actually, I am now really thinking about getting the new D7 kit by Audix which has a hat mic and two overheads as well as tom mics, snare, and bass drum mics.

Man, this studio thing gets pricey pretty quickly!

6. Doublehelix

Doublehelix Well-Known Member

I am using the Audix D2s along with the Sennheiser MD421 U5s on toms...fantastic!

7. lowdbrent

lowdbrent Guest

The Beta52, the AKG D12, 112, Audix D6, EV 868 are all different kick mics. I would not use one mic for every kit. However, if you have to, you can get buy with any of these in a pinch.

The thing with these drum mics, is that they are designed for drums, and have been designed to have boosts and cuts, so that little EQ is required. Therefore, a mic that is not a dedicated drum mic would almost always provide more flexability in other uses (i.e., Sennheiser 421, Audio Technica ATM25's, 32s, Beyer M88's, SM57's, Beta 56's, 57's, EV RE20, etc).