1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Drum OH`s

Discussion in 'Drums' started by Twood, Jul 27, 2005.

1. Twood

Twood Active Member

I`m about to buy some new mics for drum OH`s.

What are you guys using?

Can anybody recommend anything?

I was thinking maybe a couple of Soundelux U195`s...

Has anybody tried theese mics as OH`s?

2. rudedogg

rudedogg Guest

I think you would be set with a pair of 414s. They are industry standards that can be used on a whole bunch of other stuff too.

I've used the soundelux elux 251 (elam 251 remake) and they sound freaking amazing.

good luck. there are a million cheapie mics people will tell you sound great, but if you want to get the "it" sound used in professional studios, i would recommend the 414s.

steve

3. billblues

billblues Active Member

just curious how'd ya come up w/ the u195?

4. jonnyc

jonnyc Member

I always like the sm81's as overheads, they aren't cheap and also used by pros

5. atlasproaudio

atlasproaudio Active Member

Soundelux U195's absolutely rock. You will not need any EQ with those microphone. If you want it airy and brighter, leave the setting normal. If you want a fatter low frequency, hit the FAT button (and put the 30hz roll off on too, or it's a little to much in the subs). 414's and SM81's cannot even come close to competing with U195's if you want pro results (IMHO of course). I'm not trying to be mean or sardonic, but I wouldn't put my name on the recording if I had to use the AKGs or Shures (and no I don't sell AKG or Shure, and I don't want to...although I really like the SM-7b on amps, and the D112 on floor tom, but not kick).

6. EricK

EricK Guest

I've never really like the 414's on O/H. They're OK, but there's better. I like c451's or pretty much anything from Earthworks. If you have a good room, you should at least consider some Earthworks.

7. Twood

Twood Active Member

I was just about to order one, I`ve been searching a bit, reading up on the U195. They seem to work on just about anything.. So I though I`d might order two and use them as OH`s as well..

8. Twood

Twood Active Member

I forgot to mention... Up until now I`ve been using c451... And most recently Milab WM-44.. The sound is ok... or actually quite good, I kind of like the WM-44.. But I want to step up with the big boys and use large diagram condencers as O/H..

9. CoyoteTrax

CoyoteTrax Well-Known Member

I'll second the SM-81's even though they're not really standard. They handle the high freq's soooooo well without being brittle and can handle monster SPL's.

10. billblues

billblues Active Member

I recently purchased a u195 and so far it lives up to the hype.but being that your located overseas and soundelux is a usa co.{even though the u195 has asian capsule in it}you should do a search on gearslutz and scroll to a post by troy from s. africa I believe it was posted the 20th of june

11. atlasproaudio

Billblues is referring to a customer who had problems with an iFET7 microphone. The customer is located in S. Africa. Point being is that you should not buy a Soundelux from a USA dealer (and yes, that includes us), unless of course you are physically in the USA. This is because if a USA dealer sells a Soundelux outside of the US, they have to handle all repair issues on their own, without the distributors support. And this makes it hard on the customer and the dealer. So definitely find a dealer who can give you local customer service, and hopefully they'll be able to give you a loaner if need be during down time if anything breaks (which really isn't too often, the iFET7 thing is a fluke, I've sold many of those mics without a problem). I believe Europe is handled by Soundfield UK, if not they can direct you to the right place:

http://www.soundfield.com/soundelux/soundelux.php

12. KungFuLio

KungFuLio Guest

What kind of music are you recording?

So far sine June, I've used Audix scx-25, B&K 4011, Shure KSM32, Nuemann KM 140 and Manley Reference Cardioid... all with great results. Depending on the track, I might even throw up some SM57s. Don't think one set of overheads is a do everything solution.

13. LittleDogAudio

LittleDogAudio Active Member

Look into Neumann 184's they are great for most styles and make a killer acoustic guitar pair.

I've used sm-81's quite a bit and I can't say that they are a good choice for the scratch. A tad brittle and not very usefull on most other sources.

Chris

14. rudedogg

rudedogg Guest

I'm surprised so many of you hate the 414s. I absolutely love them on overheads. not to mention putting them up on the grill of a marshall cab is an amazing sound to be heard.

I def liked the elux 251s better, but i mean, a $700 mic vs. a $4000 mic makes a big difference. I like the looks of the u195, i haven't used that one, but the soundelux mics are solid. I def want to try the ifet7. If it sounds like a real fet 47, it is worth twice the asking price.

maybe im just listening in different studios situations. I've only heard / used these mics in a couple local studios well tuned, with API consoles. they might not sound that good through mackie or lower end boards??

anyway, drums are easily my favorite to record, and as much as overheads are important, i usually am much more concerned with the room sound, and getting good sound from the room mics.

steve

15. Twood

Twood Active Member

rudedogg said:
    What are U using as Room mics?

If I buy the U195 as OH`s my main setup will be as follow:

Kick: sm91 (soon to be upgraded, maybe a ifet7..)
    snare top: 421
    snare bottom: milab WM-44
    OH`s: 2 x U195

...and the usual 57 on tams.. If needed..

Should be sweet!!!!

16. atlasproaudio

They have a very wooley midrange. We are talking about the B-ULS or TL-II? If we are talking about the 70's tube or solid state models, yeah, they sound great but haven't been made in 25 years.

Modern 414's might not sound that good on $2500 preamps like a Vipre...or Neve, or API, or whatever. It's just variations on wooley (I love that word). Just my $.02, I think there are other mics that will sound better for the dough.

17. Twood

Twood Active Member

KungFuLio said:

Mostly acoustic stuff.. rock, jazz... NO heavy metal (noize!!)

18. Twood

Twood Active Member

Atlasproaudio said:
    Is there anything else u you can recommend, other than the U195? In the same pricerange..

19. mixing_nic

mixing_nic Guest

What about some se1a's?
    http://www.dv247.com/invt/27038
    On something like ORTF configuration they sound amazing as overheads! I've tried all sorts but the ones i always come back to are the SE1a's.
    Not a bad price too!

20. Twood

Twood Active Member

SE1a?... hmm... Even though the SE1A is probably a great mic, I was thinking more of in the 1000-1500USD pricerange. Not that I`m blowing of the SE just because it`s "cheap", But my experience is that u get what u pay for.

mixing_nic said:
    really? What other mics have you tried it against? If it is as good as you say, I just might have to check them out.. But as I said: U usually get what you pay for..