Drum Overhead Mics Time/Phase Alignment

Discussion in 'Room & Overhead' started by DonnyThompson, Nov 13, 2017.

1. Davedog

Davedog Distinguished Member

My experience is an interesting story about recording drums one at a time on some tracks. Too long for here....I'll save the bulk of it for putting the grandkids to sleep by telling them about it.

Your point about clearing up crosstalk, phase anomalies, and room node problems is exactly why we decided to even embark on such a thing. More of an experiment than anything else. Suffice to say, we learned a lot about drum arrangement as well as the "sweet spot" in a room. And as I said.....the drummer has to be able to break down his playing into individual parts while retaining the 'feel' originally written for the song. And it all had to coalesce. But the up side was drum tracks from an 'iffy' room that sounded like they came from a Sound City or Oceanway.

pcrecord likes this.
  2. Mario-C.

Mario-C. Active Member

Home Page:
    I started experimenting with the track delay in my overheads in studio one after reading this thread, useful in a track where the drums were a bit "diffuse" sounding, I did notice the kick got bigger and more defined :)

pcrecord likes this.