1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

drum overheads - omni or cardoid?

Discussion in 'Room & Overhead' started by Roly, Oct 11, 2003.

1. Roly

Roly Guest

Hi folks
    What are your thoughts on this subject?
    thanks Roly
  2. tripnek

tripnek Active Member

Jun 9, 2003
  3. sign

sign Guest

Right, SD cardioids.
  4. heinz

heinz Guest

Cardoid - but if you have a world-class room, try Omni. :cool:
  5. Roly

Roly Guest

Thanks for your replys.
    I have read some posts that state that there are fewer phase issues with omni overheads. Also, omnis have no proximity issues with low frequency response. ( I think )
    What brought this question to mind is me listining to some beds we did. I was out of the sweet spot and the left overhead sounded very phasey. All the recording gear was top drawer so was I hearing phase stuff due to where I was standing or could it be the cardoid thing?
    hope that's enough information
  6. RecorderMan

RecorderMan Distinguished Member

Mar 28, 2001
    Proximaty only matters when the mic gets near the source.
    Omnis can work in the proper space, in most cases it's a little out of balnce with respect to room/oh balance.
    If youwere hearing phase issues...then that's probably what it was (all to common I'm afraid....learn phase).
    Figure-8 (i.e. ribbons) sound good on OH as well.

....no fast rules, but always solutions....
  7. tripnek

tripnek Active Member

Jun 9, 2003
    Try the cardoid mics in an X/Y setup. That should eliminate the phase problems. If you are recording in a Computer based DAW you can take the beds you have and edit. The track that is out of phase can be adjusted by moving it backwards or forwards in relation to the time line. Not a perfect solution, but it may save your work.
  8. Damohonda

Damohonda Guest

Heres my tupenny worth...

I get a great sound with 2 X AKG C1000...

9. Dave Nyberg

Dave Nyberg Guest

lol, seems like Kurt doesn't share that view ;)
  10. Kurt Foster

Kurt Foster Distinguished Member

Jul 2, 2002
    77 Sunset Lane.
    For around the same dough ($400), you could get a matched pair of Studio projects C4s, which sound much better, come with shock mounts and a nice carryng case as well as switchable omni and cardioid capsules.. No they are not Neumanns, but they are very good for the price ...

AKG has decided to jump on the low cost "affordable" band wagon with the C1000, 2000 and 3000's but I don't care much for any of them. My POV, Stick with the standards as far as AKG goes, C12, 414, 480's etc..

[ October 17, 2003, 10:42 PM: Message edited by: Kurt Foster ]
  11. Damohonda

Damohonda Guest

I'd just like to say that I get a great sound from those AKG's... I also use some Shure Omni's Can't remember the model and they both give me a good sound...

So if you think those AKG's are bad, then those C4's must be awesome, cos I've never had a bad sound with those C1000's...

BTW can't find the C4's in UK
  12. Dave Nyberg

Dave Nyberg Guest

In music it's all about nuances. I'm sure these mics don't differ all that much, but i'm also sure they differ enough for someone who appriciates the quality of a great mic to go for the better one :)

If you get great results that's great but great can always be improved to greater ;)

Ofcourse it's also about personal preference. But you can also call a mic better if it get's you a flatter response.