1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Drum Room

Discussion in 'Drums' started by TACAMO, Mar 24, 2010.

TACAMO Guest

Hey guys, Right now I'm trying to record drums, but I just cant get the sound I'm looking for. My kit is in a 10x11 room with heavy foam and blankets. The rest of my house is completely open. I was thinking of moving my drums to the living room. OK, so heres my question, does the room really have a big effect on a close miked drum kit? Should I move my kit to record?
  2. Yes, oh yes it does. You are probably sucking most of the high-end out of the small room you're recording in. Foam and blankets only absorbs high frequencies. On top of this, the small room will have a lot of low-end build up. This means, your drums will be boomy, muddy and missing a lot of high-end definition. (even if you close mic) Moving to a bigger room will help a lot. If you stay in the small room, you need a mix of bass traps and broadband absorption. (more bass trapping than anything most likely) -- I would choose the larger liver sounding room though.

TACAMO Guest

All right thank you.
  4. kmetal

kmetal Kyle P. Gushue Resource Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Boston, Massachusetts
    Home Page:
    Agreed. Room mics are fun too.
  5. +1 on room mics! (or mic as the case may be) - I picked up a tip from a buddy. Use a mono room mic then smash the hell out of it. It makes for a cool natural reverb and big full awesome drums.

TACAMO Guest

Thanks For the tip, I will use a room mic.