1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Drum samples for hard rock

Discussion in 'Drums' started by TheFraz, Mar 26, 2008.

1. TheFraz

TheFraz Active Member

This summer I will be producing a demo for a friend of mine.
    Well I need a few different hard rock kits. every thing from a metal kit to a fat 70's rock kit.
    I am using logic to do the production. So I am looking to buy either a program with samples or just a sample library that I can map to the esx24.

Any one know of some good sample packs?
    I am not looking to spend to much money. preferably lower then $200.

2. DaneStewart

DaneStewart Guest

For a few more bucks you should check out BFD.
    There are many "packs" available for BFD, but the ones that are gonna hit your mark are EVIL DRUMS and a pack that Steve Albini's Studio created...I think it's called "Specialty" or something un-interesting like that.
    This is harder sounding stuff.
    Beyond these I think almost all the drum libraries out there are really generic and uninspiring.

TIP: With whatever software/DAW you are using, overdrive the drums with some tube-emulation distortion plug-in. There are many out there. Just use a little bit and I really think you'll like the sound you get - push it more if it feels right.
    I almost always overdrive rock drums. Gives 'em that Bonham sound.

3. Cucco

Cucco Distinguished Member

Helena or John?

4. Zing! Topical.

5. TheFraz

TheFraz Active Member

Thanks for the tips.
    One thing I am concerned about is the price. Also there does not seem to much in the way for metal and hard rock.
    EZdrummer seems to be well fit for that at a fraction of the price. Currently, it is the one I am looking at.

6. DaneStewart

DaneStewart Guest

EZdrummer may be good if you find some sounds you think are hard enough.....

Then be sure to overdrive them for that HELENA BONHAM sound!!!!!

(God she's hot! JUST MY TYPE! Curse you Burton!!!)

7. TheFraz

TheFraz Active Member

Well the DFH sample bank has a great sample collection. It's only one kit, but I can do allot with it.
    Plus they have a massive upgrade in the works.