1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Drumer that plays to loud

Discussion in 'Drums' started by Micro, Jan 23, 2006.

1. Micro

Micro Guest

let me know if this has already been posted link it to me

how can i get my drumer to play softer yet have that rocking sound, he's just to loud for the drum mic kit??
  2. I usually post a lot of signs that say "HIT THE WHITE THINGS HARD AND THE SHINY THINGS SOFT" to control a drummer. You may be thinking that that will probably make him play harder on the toms, but most often drummers will play softer on the toms because they are actually thinking about their playing.
  3. o2x

o2x Active Member

Mar 17, 2005
    Give him thinner sticks. :wink:
  4. HansAm

HansAm Active Member

Jun 4, 2005
    Your drummer is never ment to play softer :D
    Get new mics that can handle the pressure!!

my peronal opinion
  5. RemyRAD

RemyRAD Guest

Sep 26, 2005
    What kind of microphones are you using on drums? If you have an actual " drum microphone package" and they are cheap condenser microphones, try a handful of Shure SM57s. Then use that little switch on your console that says "pad", it has nothing to do with a musical interlude. It will however, prevent your microphone preamplifiers from overloading. Using that pad switch, you may also need to increase the game trim on your microphone preamplifiers. This will improve the headroom characteristics of your microphone preamplifiers. Problem solved.

If you are using SM57s and have done all of the above, get a handful of Sennheiser MD421s, they don't overload and forget about the condenser microphones. You'll be glad you did.

Ms. Remy Ann David
  6. axel

axel Guest

softer drumming??? jeeeeez... i dream of John Henry Bonham, wish there would be more maniacs with that kind of energy and soul... as RemyRad stated improve your mic-ing technique... and let them beat the hell out of it!!!

it's music...
  7. hueseph

hueseph Distinguished Member

Oct 31, 2005
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Personally, this is just another reason why it's so cool to track to tape. If you're getting distortion on the preamp end then the pad suggestion is cool. If you're getting distortion at the A/D converters the pad suggestion will still work but having a destination that actually sounds good when it starts to clip is the best. Condensors would definitely be a problem unless you're using them as overheads.
  8. UncleBob58

UncleBob58 Active Member

Apr 9, 2003
    Fairfield County, CT
    Home Page:
    Of course, he could just get a quieter drum kit.
  9. alimoniack

alimoniack Guest

"Rocking Sound"=Loud Drummer.

It may be more of a problem if he or she is an uneven player at loud volumes. In this situation encouraging careful yet solid playing is a good starting point as Brian suggests, and of course heuseph's suggestion of tracking drums to tape with the peaks in the red (as I always personally do for loud stuff) will help a lot. Compression would be a last resort if you had no other recourse, although I do think it compromises the natural sound of a kit unfavourably when tracking and cannot be undone.

If your drummer is an even player then follow Remy's advice and get some rugged mics capable of handling high SPL's and attenuate those signals!

I find it easier to record a hard (even!) hitter. Consider yourself lucky that you have a loud as hell drummer, it's a handy thing to have in a rock'n'roll band. It's pretty difficult to make a soft drummer sound like Bonzo!

Good luck...
  10. Micro

Micro Guest

Good Idea!
  11. Micro

Micro Guest

yeah but he like to be louder than any other instrument playing, not allowing a blend of the rest of the music
  12. axel

axel Guest

micro wrote:

oh, fair enough that is another level of problem, but i don't think that particular this problem can be fixed with a recording, it's more a "social" "energy level" sort of thing not being able to "play within a band as a whole"

but nevermind, if psychology, that means getting him to play with the band rather than against the band doesn't help... follow the good tips given to you.

best of luck.
  13. Micro

Micro Guest

yeah thanks for the tips!everybody it helps us get to where we need to be musically speaking.
  14. Cresta

Cresta Active Member

Dec 29, 2005
    pay him a good teacher :p
  15. restashured

restashured Guest

fewer mics

As far as recording goes, you may want to use simply a kick mic and 2 overheads. Or, if you have a nice room, use a spaced pair that's a few feet away. Of course this depends on the style you're recording. And if you're tracking everything at the same time, this would be an issue.

Hope that helps.
  16. djrr3k

djrr3k Guest

I'm pretty sure I work with the hardest hitting/loudest drummer in the business. To quote what Dave Grohl (known for hard hitting himself) had to say about this guy, "Holy crap you hit hard!" The keys are:

A. being a good drummer, knowing how to hit your drums

B. knowing how to tune your drums

C. knowing how to mic drums

D. engaging pad's on consoles across the nation

I've seen this guy put sticks through heads and cymbals, his foot through his kick pedal (usually bust a few on tour). He started working with a company called Rocketshells to make custom carbon fiber drums so we don't crack shells (even when their singer jumps on his kick).

In fact, if you want to see how hard he hits...

Not trying to promoting the band here, but they played on G4tv and the video should still be on the G4 site. The band is The Bangkok Five. Sound was pretty simple, 421's on toms, KSM27's overhead, KSM 109 on snare & hat, and I think an Evil D112 on kick. Ran it into a an O2R to mix, and then into either a Neve or an Amek (can't remember) for production.

17. JWL

JWL Active Member

Feb 12, 2006
    Portland, Maine
    Home Page:
    If you want the drummer to play softer, crank the hell out of his drums in his headphones.
  18. RemyRAD

RemyRAD Guest

Sep 26, 2005
    I don't think that would help JWL , he is already brain-dead! Like me!

Dreaming of drumming
    Ms. Remy Ann David