1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

drums in a small room

Discussion in 'Drums' started by swprophet, Sep 20, 2006.

1. swprophet

swprophet Guest

so what are your thoughts? who here gets good drum sounds in a small room and what is your set up? i have an okay sized room for drums.. its like 10x10 with a 7.5 foot ceiling. i know small rooms are not typically ideal but since that is what i am working with...what do you suggest for getting a big sound out of a little room?

mics i am using
    AKG 414
    GT 44s
  2. jasondirckze

jasondirckze Guest

I record drums in my bedroom, and, well, they sound like they were recorded in a bedroom. I try to take out some of the "room" sound using simple acoustic treatment, and I dont get too wild with the OH's. Nice and close to the kit, using LDC's mostly.

I find the best cure for recording drums in a small room is a really great drummer, and a nicely tuned kit.
  3. swprophet

swprophet Guest

yeah I have found that too. I know every kit and drummer are going to be way different from each other. Are there any normal things that need to happen with the mix (eq, verb) when drums have been recorded in a small room? let me know what you think.
  4. jasondirckze

jasondirckze Guest

I guess Im a bit more "heavy" with the reverb... everything else is as normal, to your tastes and to "fit" with the rest of the track.