1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Drums in a ....the only room available

Discussion in 'Drums' started by orbit, May 16, 2008.

1. orbit

orbit Guest

Does anyone have any general tips on what is the basis of a good drum room for a loud as ..... drummer?

forever and longer ive only had the displeasure of having one m audio nova to hang above the drum kit and run it thru a presonus tube pre, thus my drum recordings cost 200$ (minus the kit..).

Now im looking at gettings 2 matched oktava mk-012's from soundroom with hyper/card/omni capsules and either a cygnus x-2 or an RNP for the mics...this is just OH's and then a d112 to the kick, and im not really concerned with filling out the rest at least....

so what is a good atmosphere for recording a loud drummer ?

also as kind of a bonus question...hows the best way to record just...the room? like we have alot of jam sessions with all kinds of different players and my budding studio can barely even accomodate drums/ins...i have a delta 1010 so the bass/guitars/keys are almost never a problem...

2. orbit

orbit Guest

i almost forgot....here's a mix of one of the segments of a jam session i had about a month ago...with the ONE drum mic :p and really cheap preamp

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=EJC2ITAX

3. Crosshand

Crosshand Guest

Hi!

For these kind of jam session recordings we simply use a Roland R-09

We've simply mic'ed the bassdrum through the PA, and get pretty good results.

A tip is to use some molton on the wall behind the drumset for acoustics, it removes most of the basement-sound. We've placed it about 2 inches from the wall from the ceiling to the floor, but this really depends on the acoustics in the room.

4. orbit

orbit Guest

pardon my ignorance, but what is molton? i googled it and cant find any sound / acoustics / materials references?

5. Space

Space Well-Known Member

http://www.theatrequip.com.au/molton.htm

6. bent

bent No Bad Vibes! Well-Known Member

Sounds like Duvateen to me...