1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Drums in The Mars Volta - Francis The Mute

Discussion in 'Drums' started by sproll, Apr 13, 2005.

1. sproll

sproll Active Member

Hey everyone,

Probably a dumb question that I may already know the answer to, but I thought I'd ask anyhow.

I really like the drum sound on this album, it's got a Zeppelin sound, but modern at the same time. I'm curious as to whether I can get something similar to it with the drums that I have, or is it pretty useless to try. I have an old Ludwig set from 1964, but it is not a big kit like Bonham's. My kick is only a 20"(with a 4" hole in the head), and I have a 12" and 14" toms. I also have a 14"x5 Supraphonic from 1967. Right off the bat, I'm not using a 26" kick, big toms, or the 14"x6.5 Supraphonic that he used... so I won't be surprised if I can't get anything to sound like it.

I guess my question is, knowing what I have and what I like, is there any way to get something similar in sound with the equipment I have when telling the producer/engineer what I want - or am I just going to sound stupid? If you were the engineer, would you tell me... sorry, there's no way? Just curious... I love that sound.

Thanks,

Tom

2. cococontofu

cococontofu Guest

read this:

http://mixonline.com/recording/interviews/audio_mars_volta/index.html

it's about the de-loused-record but it might help you

3. sproll

sproll Active Member

Thanks,

Looks like an interesting read, but the actual drum sounds in the first and second album are completely different. I still do appreciate you taking the time to help me out however! :)

Tom

4. imagineaudio

imagineaudio Active Member

Is it just me or is their new record hard on the ears? I find it very fatiguing to listen to. I always seem to be grabbing the volume on my car deck and turning it waaaaay down..... Too bad because I really dig it...

5. sproll

sproll Active Member

Yeah I find that as well... but I still dig the drum sounds. Hopefully someone will have some insight for me.

6. imagineaudio

imagineaudio Active Member

I most certainly am not the most qualified to answer this question, being neither a drummer nor more than a hobbyist engenieer......but to me the drums sound mic'ed with a minimal amount of mic's....maybe 4-6 or a few more for room mic's.....as for the drums themselves, i can't say.....but they are in great shape, in tune, no rattling or buzzing...and in a good sounding room.... may give you a place to start, hopefully someone more experienced can take over....or tell me im wrong...?

7. mcmilliron

mcmilliron Guest

I'd also like to comment on how bad the second album sounds compared to their first. I believe Rick Rubin had nothing to do with the second album, is that right?