1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Drums on rug or not?

Discussion in 'Drums' started by MarkG, Aug 25, 2008.

1. MarkG

MarkG Guest

I have always kept my studio kit on a rug for 2 reasons.

1. Avoid reflections from floor
    2. keep drums on place (not sliding around)

My new studio has hardwood floors and a cathedral 14 foot ceiling with no treatment on the ceiling yet, but quite a bit on the walls.
    I am thinking about setting the drums up on the hardwood instead of the rug. I am wondering what other people are doing.

thanks

2. Greener

Greener Guest

It depends on the sound you want.
    I find it easier to get a drum to make a tone that "fills" the room when it's on a shiny floor.
    BUT
    When it's on the shiny floor I have to attach the kit down... I've tried everything, I settled on screwing the pedals to a piece of particle board and dyna bolting that to the concrete. the kick drum sat on a small piece of the same thickness board to bring it up flush and the snare was wired to the pedal board. Like a mini drum riser on concrete.

Playing on concrete vs carpet is a totally different ball game logistically and sonicly(is this a made up word?).

On concrete you get heaps more high end, defining amounts of treble. This can be a good thing. Depends on what kind of sound you are after.

You could describe it as brighter with a lot of attack.

3. SmashKAB

SmashKAB Active Member

I have a pretty budget studio with Dricore for the floors, wood walls with blankets stapled to them. So as you might have guessed I also deal in budget solutions for the drums sliding around in which case I find duck tape works well. It's a little tricky to get it around the base of some of the legs but if you can get it nice a tight that drum kit stays put. Also I don't know enough about room acoustics to know exactly what my room creates, aside from cutting down on some re-verb.

4. jasonwagner

jasonwagner Active Member

Depends on what your ceiling is like, if it is low and untreated I would say use a rug.

Sand bags used for the backs of pick ups and such work wonders for holding drums in place.