1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

drums to 2 buss during mixdown?

Discussion in 'Drums' started by coldsnow, Oct 17, 2001.

1. coldsnow

coldsnow Active Member

Do you generally send all your drum tracks to a 2-bus and compress them all together when tracking?

2. Ang1970

Ang1970 Well-Known Member

I don't usually do that while tracking... and only sometimes when mixing. That doesn't mean you should or shouldn't. Do whatever works for you.

3. drumsound

drumsound Active Member

I've been busing and compressing the drum-set lately (at mixdown). It's floating my boat more that compressing individual drums. I'm sure that will change, but for now it works for me.

My $.02 ;)

4. soulconnect

soulconnect Guest

Back when I was mixing on an analog board I used to run a strapped pair of 160x compressors as an aux send on multi track bus 1 and 2 and return it like an FX return. It worked great on drums, adding a thickness that you just can't get from EQ, while retaining the transient response and body of the uncompressed tracks. I miss that.

Steve

5. td

td Guest

Yeah Steve - I here you, the latency just makes it a phase nightmare - the only workaround I've found for a DAW is to record the compressed drums bus output to a stereo track & then time align it by sight ............ if you have the tracks to spare, which I usually don't.

Tony

6. Marcelo

Marcelo Guest

I have the same problem. Tried inserting the same plugins on all bused channels, flat or 1:1.
    I think that made the trick, but a lot of extra CPU needed. Greetings from Argentina.

7. zap

zap Guest

Why on earth would you get any latency doing that?

If I put a compressor on an aux in sonar, the compressed sound comes out sample-aligned with the main sound, as it should.

You say Pro Tools is different?

/Z

8. waitgoiter

waitgoiter Guest

Yes, protools is different.plug-insintroduce latency unlike a native DAW.

9. zap

zap Guest

They do? Even on a prerecorded track?! Thats interesting!!

Well I guess thats a pro for the native DAW concept then?

Latency isn't really an issue there unless you try to do stuff "live". I.e. try to monitor through plugins => dont work too well. I have my sonar set at over 100ms latency, but that doesnt "bother" me one bit... sure if I tweak an EQ I dont "hear" the result of the tweak until 100ms later... big deal.

I will have the opportunity to play with a pro-toools rig next week so this will be some things to keep in mind perhaps.

/Z

/Z