1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Dual AMD system

Discussion in 'Computing' started by Opus2000, Jul 23, 2002.

1. Opus2000

Opus2000 Well-Known Member

Ouch...pretty expensive setup here but want to know what you guys think of this setup...

Asus A7M266-D w/ (2)MP 2000+ processors running at 1.67Ghz
    1GB DDR PC2100 RAM
    431Watt PSU(Enermax)
    4RU Rackmount case
    Plextor 24x CDR/W
    Matrox G550 Dual Monitor AGP
    Adaptec 2930U 160 Single Channel SCSI Controller Card
    Maxtor 20GB OS and Application drive
    Store Case SCSI Removable Bay System W/ 36GB Seagate SCSI Drive
    Store Case IDE Removable Bay System W/120GB WD IDE Drive
    Floppy
    Windows XP Pro

Full system built by me and so forth...3,300 smackaroos.....
    Opus

2. weezy christ

weezy christ Guest

Nice. Hmm. Do you need that much horsepower? :)

what do you think of this machine:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2040546587

if you throw in $50, you get a date with the topless girl.

3. Opus2000

Well, for who this is for..yes, much horsepower needed!!

As far as that Ebay system...well, give it a few and that price will go up...otherwise if you could get it for that little...700 bucks would be an amazing steal!!!!
    Opus :D

P.S...Don't know about the date with that chick!! lmao!

4. Tommy P.

Tommy P. Well-Known Member

Use one of those new "frying pan" heatsinks, and you'll be able to braise steaks. :D

5. SonOfSmawg

SonOfSmawg Well-Known Member

Welll ... a few points of interest ...
    With those processors, you'll need to make sure that you get mobo rev 1.04. Check the AMD chart to see why.
    That mobo requires a MINIMUM of 400 watts. If this is going to be a major DAW, you might want to step up to the Enermax EG651P-VE. Also, with this massive beast having only 2 unregistered DDR slots available, you might want to consider 2Gb (?).
    As Tommy pointed-out, you could fry eggs on these two ^#$%ing Athlons, so forget about the included heatsinks and fans. As we both know, the better the HS/fan, the more you'll be able to o/c it, and/or the more stable it will be.
    Lastly, the CD/RW ... check this out...
    Plextor

6. Opus2000

Well, I'm not even thinking about overclocking that system! :D

7. Tommy P.

Tommy P. Well-Known Member

LOL, Gary, a helicopter seaport will be quieter than SCSI drives and two Athlons.
    Seems like you're looking for a powerhouse DAW rig, but when P4 3Ghz+ comes around, that rig will be lame. RAIDing those new WD 8meg buffer drives would probably work as well as any SCSI config, and CPU overhead could be reduced by using hardware IDE RAID.

IMHO

Tommy P.

8. themidiroom

themidiroom Active Member

I'm not even going to comment. Okay, I'm lying. I've been the poster child for the Dual Athlon system since I built it. Runs great, fast, stable, yada yada yada.

The hardware:
    Tyan S2460 system board
    1GB PC2100 Registered ECC DDR RAM
    40GB Western Digital drive(4gig for system and the rest for storage)
    9GB Fugitsu Ultra160 10k SCSI drive for audio
    ATI Radeon VE dual video card
    Adaptec Ultra160 SCSI controller
    4U Rack case
    Adaptec firewire card
    3com ethernet card.
    Windows 2000 pro
    I'm using the Coolmaster heatsink and fans. They're OK
    This baby is very loud! I keep it in a different location from the control room and use some 15ft Belkin extention cables.
    I'm in the process of designing a sound proof rack complete with it's own ventilation and filtration system.

9. Opus2000

Believe me..I know about the noise..I need to stress it more to the client but some times they are stubborn like that...
    I'd like to stay with Asus as I trust their boards and know you can use more options for power supplies and memory types...plus the BIOS is always pretty good on those...
    3.0Ghz....I heard about that and thought....whew..that thought went by fast! LMAO!
    Opus

10. Opus2000

By the way.....system is bought and being built.....the client..
    Paul Reed Smith...

11. themidiroom

themidiroom Active Member

Good luck with that system Opus. Hey, which make of rack case did you get? I can't remember mine off hand, but it is a bit cramped. When I get a chance, I might upgrade to a larger case( either a 5U or a deeper 4U.

12. Opus2000

http://direct.mwave.com/mwave/doc/a02564.html

this is the case I am getting for it...has much room and flexability to it!!!
    Same as the one I have!!
    Opus

13. SonOfSmawg

Originally posted by Opus:
    "As far as memory goes, I think 1GB will do for now...if they need more than I'll get them some more..easy as that."
    Maybe so, maybe no. That mobo holds 4 registered DIMMS or 2 unregistered DIMMS. I assume you're going with unregistered. If so, and you use two 512Mb sticks, you won't have room for expansion unless you chuck one or both of them! So, if you intend to put 1Gb in there, it would be wise to use a single 1Mb stick to leave room for expansion. With this system, it's highly possible that he may choose to beef it up.
    Again, I want to stress the fact that you need to be POSITIVE that you get rev. 1.04 of that mobo. If you check the AMD chart, you'll see that this revision allowed for the larger processors, which you will be using. Since I assume that you'll be going down to Mwave to buy it, you'll be able to chech the revision number before you buy it.
    One time when we were talking on the phone, I told you about these oddly-shaped heatsinks, but you didn't know what I was talking about. Well, here's the link...
    Zalman
    People use these WITHOUT the fans (if they have decent case fans) with very good results for non-overclocked systems. Check with the manufacturer to see if they will work with that mobo. If so, this could be an excellent, completely noiseless solution for you! Read-up on these things!

14. Opus2000

Ummm...1MB!!! Dude....I think he'll want to expand from there indeed...ha ha ha ha!! Just kidding of course

Me...read up on things? Are you crazy mon! lmao!!
    you silly SOS!!

15. SonOfSmawg

Okay ... don't check it out ... and miss out on the possibility of a totally noiseless CPU cooling solution! :p

16. llornkcor

llornkcor Active Member

Well, why not set that system up, and then send it to me for complete checking and QA testing... trust me... ;)

ljp

17. Opus2000

Hmmm...Colorado QA service...not a bad idea...lmao
    ha ha ha ha
    SOS....of course I checked it out...I was being sarcastic about not reading up on anything...you know me...I research things twice over first!!!

18. BrockStapper

BrockStapper Guest

Well partner, I think that system will be rockin'. I think you should get a bigger case, though. Maybe an eight space. Then you can wrap some chicken in aluminum foil and by the time the basic tracks are done it should be close to lunch time!

19. Opus2000

Heya Brock!!! What up homey! lmao!
    Would that be rotissaire or deep fried chicken? I wonder if the thermal paste would make a good marinade or not? :D
    Opus

20. BrockStapper

BrockStapper Guest

original recipe... yeah, I'm not sure how I got in here but this is great. Great folks and great information. I knew something was up when I saw your banner ad up there. Very cool!
    Probably wouldn't have stumbled in here but the Nuendo site seems to be a little dead lately... Hope they get it up and runnin'. Well, back to the free education...