1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

dubstep explained

Discussion in 'Composing / Producing / Arranging' started by audiokid, Nov 17, 2011.

1. audiokid

audiokid Staff

In the remix culture, what is a Dubstep?

2. IIRs

IIRs Well-Known Member

3. audiokid

audiokid Staff

Thanks for chiming in Dan.

Is the Dub Step the entire part that sounds like ( in my words) a musical fight, or remix climax) or is it a sound that coins that phase too? Is the Dub Step anything added in the song? How do you explain what a DubStep is in words?

4. IIRs

IIRs Well-Known Member

Its a musical genre. Usually featuring a tempo of 140 BPM (often with a half-time feel to the drums) and aggressive "wobbly" basslines.

I like the fact that as a genre it doesn't appear to take itself too seriously!

5. RemyRAD

RemyRAD Well-Known Member

Wow, that's some cool stuff. I don't do that kind of stuff myself and I really don't want to because it intimidates me. I'm not that kind of computer frenetic engineer so I just record music. But I think it's still cool stuff. I'm just spoiled from working with really musical folks. The only thing I want to quantize sometimes is my heart beat. I really hate it when it starts to go pitter patter pitter patter, unless someone happens to be in love with me at that moment.

I'm looking for love in all the wrong places...
    Mx. Remy Ann David

6. IIRs

IIRs Well-Known Member

I've decided to spend tomorrow trying to make a dubstep tune as scary as that one :D

I'm actually booked as house engineer for a Skrillex show in about a week. His rider goes on for several pages about the lighting rig they're bringing, but it seems all I'm going to have to do is patch in a DJ mixer plus some extra subs!

7. RemyRAD

Yeah, that's all part of audio engineering at its most basic industrial level. It's like putting tie tack microphones on talking heads before their interviews on TV. You have to make important decisions for that like... left lapel or right lapel or their tie. Upside down (BBC style) right side up (common style), T-shirt style... around their lousy necks! Wireless, wired & too much coffee. I'm not a very caffeinated oriented person. The only thing oriented about myself is the equipment I use from there, the Orient.

Sanken Very much
    Mx. Remy Ann David

8. audiokid

audiokid Staff

I think I finally get it. Do I have this right... You load in loops or stems of a song(s) into a DAW like Frooty Loops and somewhere in that song you do a dubstep? This must originate from the DJ culture? Example: DJ mixing up songs, they have FL or Ableton as part of their rig and when things get around 140bpm they get creative with their VSTi, a controller and start mixing it up with a dubstep? The dupstep is a combination of the remix and the DJ's ability to use a DAW to perform their own thing?

DJ's crossing over into VSTi world yes?

9. IIRs

IIRs Well-Known Member

Its just a musical genre. A British one I'm proud to say! Dubstep - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A Dubstep remix is simply a remix in a dubstep style.

10. IIRs

IIRs Well-Known Member

Actually reading my own wikipedia link, it appears that the Skrillex I posted above doesn't count as real dubstep and is actually "Brostep": shows how much I know!

I like the description of Brostep as "Americanized, garbage dubstep"

11. audiokid

audiokid Staff

Got it. Thanks for your patience on this one :)

12. soapfloats

soapfloats Well-Known Member

Dubstep is a DJ style. Like any genre, it has its rules of composition, but is not defined by them.

This is dubstep in my town.

I'm biased b/c they're friends of mine, but I appreciate the use of live drums, bass, guitar, keys, and vocals.
    It's not my cup of tea, but I have to give them props for what they do.

13. IIRs

IIRs Well-Known Member

According to his front of house engineer* Skrillex does indeed consider himself to be dubstep, not brostep. So I was right first time.

* Yes, he has a FOH engineer, even with only a DJ mixer on stage!

14. audiokid

audiokid Staff

I like this!

Killin It by Krewella by Dubstep.net on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

15. Geozen

Geozen Active Member

That is some cool stuff! I liked them. I personally love Dubstep and most genres of Electronic Music. This Skeetones page is pretty awesome.

16. RemyRAD

While this isn't exactly my kind of listening genre, I really loved the Toto cover. I was into electronica at a much earlier age but this was downright awesome. I really enjoyed all that was posted. The element of sameness bores me quickly but doing awesome remixes of these old melody laden songs is really the way to go. Now that, I can get into. Probably, also because I always thought they were a great band. And so who doesn't like to hear new arrangements of old favorites? Even when it comes to Al Yankovic. But then, those are all parodies. Definitely an excellent example of all the computers and their related software along with some talent, have to offer. It certainly was all superb sounding, technically, in an expert way, so I definitely appreciate that. I hope we hear more of this quality stuff. I know I don't have the capabilities of doing anything like this myself. I can't do it because I am a perfect mididiot. I guess I'm doomed to manual labor a.k.a. being an old-school engineer?

My god am I feeling my age now!
    Mx. Remy Ann David

17. audiokid

audiokid Staff

Its not exactly my thing either but I like to keep up on things.

You are going to be hearing me talk about this a lot. Indaba Music is full of opportunities that pay. I love Indaba, check it out.

Remy, its like anything. Once you see what these guys are using, you go. Ah... thats what they're doing. It ain't PT for this market.
    There is money in this industry and its sometimes in the places we don't see for the tree's. REMIX its growing. I want some of it so I'm learning. My problem right now is time. But, every sparse moment I have, I spend it reaserching about opportunities and trends. Go to Indaba and look it over more than once.

FL Fruity Loops, Ableton seems to be the two I like for this type of music. Play with those, go to Indaba and then you will go, hmm....

18. EricIndecisive

EricIndecisive Active Member

I'm going to be honest, I was listening to some, what I think is dubstep? That song levels.. and some stuff by skillrex. It's cool I guess.. different for sure. I can see how it can really bring people to a different place, especially since I'm guessing it's used in clubs / raves. It seems like something that is made to turn you into a sort of zombie, where you're not thinking or paying attention, just letting your mind take in the mixture of sounds, and I'm assuming lights. I don't understand how people can listen to this while walking around in the normal world though.

Then I listened to real musicians again, and I figured out pretty quickly which world I would rather be in.

19. audiokid

audiokid Staff

Definitely with you on that. Its seems to be where money and opportunities are though, and so many people are into it. I'm into electronic music but my heart will always be in real music. I am an accomplished guitarist in a world that doesn't even want guitar solo's in modern music anymore. WTF happened. I noticed this started in the late 90's.
    I never want to be too far away from trends. Keeps you on top of things. Its how I've stayed busy and made a living in this industry. So many people stop growing once they get out of high school. It kills the best of us.

The REMIX sound , sounds like s e x /a pick up world. Nothing to be proud of but it also has its moments of punch that I like. Good to know how to put punch like that into acoustic music. Its why I engage with it.

20. Guitarfreak

Guitarfreak Well-Known Member

I think it's great that we keep an open ear here for all types of music. I listen to some dubstep sometimes, but it's not an everyday listen. If any of you have any luck in getting some dubstep sounds (mainly the wobble bass that sounds huge, vocal, and distorted) let me know, because I had a fire under me one day to compose some dubstep and nothing approaching a dubstep breakdown came out.