1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

dvd backup?

Discussion in 'Recording' started by duxsmer, Sep 4, 2002.

1. duxsmer

duxsmer Guest

ok. am i crazy? why can't we use a dvd burner to backup our projects. isn't it a way better alternative to stock piling removable hard drives. you can buy a burner for about $250. you can buy dvd-rs for a buck a piece. you can fit roughly a half an hour's worth of 16-track, 24bit, 48kHz audio on a 4.7 gig dvd. so what gives?

2. Opus2000

Opus2000 Well-Known Member

Umm....who told you you can't do that?!! I currently do it...it friggen rocks burning that much data to a 4.7GB disc!!! Works great man...never had an issue with it yet....I got the Pioneer A04(or 104) CDR/W-DVDR/W combo drive....it's really nice!
    Hope that helps!
    Opus

3. duxsmer

duxsmer Guest

ok. what about spanning a project over multiple cds with winzip or some other program? is this possible with little or no file compression? is this stoopid?

4. Opus2000

Opus2000 Well-Known Member

First of all I NEVER compress data from a drive to CD...sort of a rule of thumb to me. In fact I NEVER compress my audio data to compact it...you take a chance of having corrupted data that way...sure you can span data across regular CD's without a problem...just need to learn how to manage your files properly. That's the key. Otherwise go for DVD R/W and be done with it! That's what I did! I also have a couple of extra IDE drives in which to back up onto as well!
    Opus