1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Dynamics Processing Ambitions

Discussion in 'Pro Audio Equipment' started by lucidproduction, Jan 28, 2005.

1. Hi All:

Newbie on this forum. Wanted to get some feedback on upcoming purchases.

As I've been building my studio, I've been leaning toward the outboard processing for dynamics and mastering applications. I have many great plugs, and they deliver, but they don't deliver the way great outboard gear does. So, in the upcoming months, I will be expanding my outboard gear & would appreciate some feedback on several levels.

Over the course of the next 8 months, I intend to purchase 2 high end compressors, 1 high end EQ, and another high end [stereo] pre to expand upon the GR NV I bought from Fletcher & Samarra & co. recently.

Based on my research, the units I'm looking at are the following:

GR EQ
    Drawmer 1968
    Purple Audio MC77
    TFPro Edward the Compressor
    Chandler TG 1
    TAB v78

The ultimate budget is $8,000. Ideally, I'd like to buy 2 compressors, 1 EQ and 1 stereo mic pre. The exception to that being if one thinks I could get away with TG 1 for all my compression needs [many of the features are VERY atttractive for the types of sounds I'd be going for with outboard gear.]

What I'm lookinng for is the following [in this particular order]

1. a fantastic analog mastering chain
    2. great compression for a stereo bus on the drum overheads coming out of Pro-Tools and back in.
    3. Bass compression on mainly mix, but sometimes tracking [coming via the GR, a Klark Technic DI, DBX 586, the potential v78, or [gasp] an amp occasinally].
    4. Vocal applications, though this is almost an afterthought, as I'm pretty happy with the light comopression I put on vocals via good plugs.

To give you an idea of my studio: great sounding live room that needs little tracking treatment. Front end is a Midas Venice 240 into the Digi 888 24 bit boxes, into TDM with great plugs. Current outboard gear are GR MP1NV, RNC, DBX 586 pre, Art Tube MP [never used], various DI's. lots of mics [AEA, Neumann, AKG, GT, Shure]. I also record ALL styles of music. Though rock probably has the most volume, I do jazz, classical, country, hip-hop, and electronica on a regular basis [after all, I do mastering...]

So I guess my questions are this. I plan to buy the first compressor installment in early March. I want the one with the most versatile uses keeping in mind the heirachrachy of above applications [masteing, drum overheads, bass, vocals]. When I say versatile, I mean I want everything from transparency to trashy. Every project needs to be mixed and mastered in different ways - I generally push for a balance of transparent and color and would like my first high-end outboard compressor to be able to do both and blend both [but it has to be stereo and I'm not going to get a pair of Cranesong Trakkers, because if I would rather buy the TG 1 for that price].

So, what do ya'll recommend.

Cheers,
    Kurt