1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Dynaudio BM6A vs BM15A

Discussion in 'Monitoring / Headphones' started by Macaroni, Feb 28, 2003.

1. Macaroni

Macaroni Guest

I own a pair of Mackie HR824s and after being part of that recent huge thread on the Mackies that went on forever, I've decided to sell them and buy a pair of Dynaudio's.

Does anyone have any opinions on the BM6A's vs BM15A's?

I'm talking about accuracy in the low end and overall sonic quality, etc, as was discussed in the above mentioned thread.

All opinions are welcomed.

Thanks.

2. anonymous

anonymous Guests

just my opinion but ive always felt the 15A's were a bit powdery on the bottom end. Also I tend to monitor a little loud at times, the 15A's just couldnt handle the volume :) other than that it's a nice monitor. I personaly prefer the E8's.

3. robb007

robb007 Member

I just traded my 15bs for a set of bm6as and just love :h: them.I agree the 15bs were a bit powdery in the bottom end .But I'll bet you'll wonder how you ever went so long without the bm6s .I no I did!

4. Screws

Screws Active Member

Ditto.

5. Hypothesis

Hypothesis Guest

Hi Macaroni !

I too am an owner of HR824's (among other speakers) and some time ago I also had the similar idea - to switch my HR824's for BM15's, cause I was soooo impressed how BM15's sounded when I tested them in a local music gear store... but, after a long time of working with a huge array of different nearfields (including all genelecs, most tannoys, jbl's, event's, & dynaudio BM6a as well) I concluded that the mixes I did on HR824's where the most accurate and translated best of them all, esspecially in the bottom end... BM6's & BM15 are definitely impressive sounding speakers (as all dynaudio speakers are :)

6. Macaroni

Macaroni Guest

Hey Hypo...

I really like the Mackies too, but after participating in that mondo thread (did you read it?) a while back, I've decided to change.

Many very experienced and expert contributors explained in detail about the weaknesses of the Mackies in the low end. Not that the low end is weak, but rather not accurate.

As you said the Dynaudios were too nice, many experts felt that the Mackies were also too nice and not as accurate as one would want.

Anyway, I don't want to rehash things again. After much research, I'm convinced the BM6As will be an improvement, so I'm ready to move up/over.

Thanks to everyone for the feedback.

I've got an almost new set in my sights, so I'm hoping to bag them soon.

7. chrissugar

chrissugar Guest

I worked, owned and still own all kind of monitors NS10, EVENT20/20, GENELEC 1031, TANOY REVEAL, JBL4206 and some speakers designed and built by myself but the monitors I like the most are the DYNAUDIO BM6A. They sound great and it is a pleasure to work on them. I worked for more than a year on GENELEC 1031 and it was a strange period. I knew GENELEC is a big name in the monitor busines and thought there is something wrong with me because I didn't liked them.
    I bought last year a pair of BM6A and since then I'm happy.
    I would also mention that I record classical music not only modern things. The acoustic instrument's sounds are reproduced natural [close to the real instruments].

chrissugar

8. Alécio Costa - Brazil

Alécio Costa - Brazil Well-Known Member

how much for the dynaudio bm6 and bm15?
    Thanks
    what is their page? I want toupgrade from Monitor Ones..

9. Macaroni

Macaroni Guest

Here's the link to Dynaudio...

http://www.dynaudioacoustics.com/

BM6A - $2,000 US retail. I found a place that will sell them for $1,500 cash, $1,530 with credit card.

BM15A - $3,000 US retail (I think).

All the research I've done has lead clearly and directly to the BM6A.

10. robb007

robb007 Member

Ron !Your gonna love these speakers {bm6as}I spent half the night listening to my favorite cds.I was hearing things like never before .I was as sceptical as anyone, but Ron good choice! Please give us your review and keep us updated ,I think weve really started a dynaudio revolution here !!!!!!!!!!!!!! :tu:

11. robchittum

robchittum Guest

BM6a's all the way!! I've not heard the 15's, but I also can't see spending more than $1500 for a pair of monitors for a home studio. Had mine about a month and love the hell out of them. You should be able to get them for $1500. I know a great place if you want to send a PM I will give you the address and phone number. Good luck.

12. Macaroni

Macaroni Guest

I think the BM15As would be a bit to much for my home studio, and they're more expensive too.

I'm waiting for a friend who may be able to get me a special deal... cost + 10%. We'll see.

I've also been watching eBay for a set of used ones, but there aren't many. I'm kicking myself because a few weeks ago before I made the decision to switch, a guy here in the LA area sold a complete surround setup... 5 BM6As & the sub woofer for $2,500!!! He said he only used them to mix 2 movie projects, so they were practically brand new. I don't need surround yet, so I could have sold the others off and made back most of the money. D'oh!

Anyway, I'll let you know when I get them and how they compare to the Mackies. I'm excited!

Hey Logic Lover, I'm a Canadian too - from Hamilton, Ont - and my sister lives in White Rock BC. I also use Logic Audio Platinum 6.0!!!

Thanks for everyone's input. Much appreciated.

13. audiowkstation

audiowkstation Active Member

Although I use the mighty Yamaha NS1000's, I will cast a vote for dynaudio as well.

As a speaker designer, I exclusively used dynaudio components in all my custom work.

The 17W75 and the D28 were the drivers of choice and using a 6dB /Octave crossover, doing phase alignment and finding the proper driver spacing, that set-up freaked people out. I was more extensive in my crossover scheme than what dynaudio sent me to tweak on.

I then upgraded all my work to the T-330D esotar tweeters. The actual cost of those tweeters in 1986 was 500 per pair. This is the same tweeter used in the eggeston loudspeakers. All of the serious 10 thousand and up speakers used dynaudio components in some form in their speakers. Dynaudio was always a "head" ahead which was their slogan back then.

Being familiar with aperiodic dampning, aerodynamic baskets, huge 3 inch voive coils on 5 inch drivers and pluse ratings to 2000 watts of power, dynaudio driver were the designers staple in the high end. I am happy this tradition has carried over to professional monitors as well. Dynaudio drivers are not quite as eff. as some other drivers out there but one thing about them, they behave. You can get what you need from them.

Having said all of this, I had a pair of the dynaudio Consequence speakers for review a number of years ago. Setup was a bitch because they were a 6 way line array. Once you did get them properly positioned though, they were worth the 20+ thousand they cost. KEF (kent engineering foundry) also had some monster monitors sporting 1200 watts of internal 4 way amplification that was serious as well.

I never cared for the Wilson /Watt/Puppies which was another staple. Even though they used some dynaudio drivers and a focal tweeter, they seemed too "congested" and having mixed a song on the BBSM 10 Westlakes and knowing all the notes, whole patterns of lowest freqencies were starved back on the wilsons. Not once, but in 4 different rooms I heard them in. Could have been the Krell monoblocks that caused this with their unusually high dampning factor but then again, Wilson sold hundreds of this 5 digit speaker system and really, if it were not for dynaudio, they would have never been made.

In 1998, dynaudio made a decision to discontinue supply parts to hobbiest and rogue (like me) speaker designers. I had a design that I not only marketed but spent years developing. I had to look long and hard to find anything I considered as good for the DIY builder but settled on Scan Speak components. Skaaning is the grand daddy of dynaudio and Scan speak components are of his design. Morel acoustics (owned by Mikiel Shabani of Israel) is under liscence to produce dynaudio clones. Very very close to dynaudio components for the do it yourselfer. The top of the absolute line of components are the signature line from Skaaning.

Ejvind Skaaning has a driver called the SK300-304

680.00 for one 12 inch woofer. The 17cm unit (7") the SK 170-308 that I love building around is now 400.00 my cost plus shipping) for one 7" woofer.

Dynaudio speaks for themselves but having built many speaker systems from the entire inventory of Scan Speak, Skaaning and Dynaudio makes you appreciate what the Danes Do.

If I did not have the NS1000's, I certainly would build using Skaaning components. That is a given. The speaker I am going to build as an affordable monitor will use the Morel tweeter though...close!

Not trying to burst any bubbles but the 17W75 in the BM6 cost 114 dollars. The 28MM tweeter is about 80.00. Add 100 for crossover components and now you see the reason Dynaudio cut itself off to people like me that can build better for less. So you have (cost to build with enclosure) about a 380 dollars each speaker selling retail for 1000.00 This actually in loudspeaker manufacturing is a low markup. Manufacture to retail in loudspeakers is usually cost X5. You are paying for quality guts here. (mackie HD824 woofer is about 24 dollars manufacture cost)

14. Alécio Costa - Brazil

just that cheap? Man, mackie guys shall be getting really riiiiiiiiiiiiiiich!!!!!
    LOL

I will tr to look for these Dynaudio, but I really wanted the AADAMS.
    Bill, which model do you recommend?

15. Macaroni

Macaroni Guest

Hi Alecio...

Here's a review that includes the Adams & BM6As & a few others...

http://emusician.com/ar/emusic_sound_judgment/

16. Alécio Costa - Brazil

Thanks Macaroni! BM15 seem to be midfiel/nearfield.
    will look at your review now!

17. Alécio Costa - Brazil

Hey, Uncle Cedar/ Bill what are the differences between the BM6p and the BMP5? The local dealer says they are different in power and tweeter quality. so..?

Seems that BM6 is on the same category of HR824, BM15 for the Genelec 1031 and the simplest one BM5 for the Monitor Ones. So...? what are your opinions?

18. Jon Best

Jon Best Active Member

My $.02 about monitors;

You *cannot* buy monitors based on anything but listening for yourself and expect anything other than random results. I know a few guys that *love* the ADAMs. I don't like working on them. I'd love to have them in the house. I hate Genelecs. Some guys love them. I liked the Mackies OK. Some people hate them. Tannoy is another with big love/hate crowds.

The monitor I do my best work on *will not* be the monitor that most other people do their best work on. This is true of everyone.

You have to listen for yourself! Sure, use internet research to weed down to three or four speakers, but *at least* listen to those ones somewhere. If you have a credit card, buy two sets with the (up front) intention of returning one set after a weekend of listening. Don't do business somewhere where you can't do that.

It's a pretty personal decision, and I hate to see people buying and selling monitors every eight months because they didn't put the work and research in the first time.

19. Alécio Costa - Brazil

yes Jon, you are right.In fact I bought the NS10´s a few years ago and hated that thing. But lots of people love them. I will test the BM5´s and BM6´s as soon I go to São Paulo, where there is a nice Dynaudio dealer.
    The HR824´s were great, but then when I installed them and tried to mix, it was a hide and seek game.

Have you guys enjoyed the BM6 as well as the BM5´s?

Some brazilian mastering engineers use these 2 models for mastering.
    so?

20. dimlight

dimlight Guest

I've had a dynaudio bm15's (left/right) and bm6's (center and surrounds) setup at home for 2 years now, and I absolutely love the way they sound, a few things they seem to be a bit weak is in their overall low end and in their "dynamics"? --meaning if the volume is cranked good 90 - 95 db @ listening spot they sound Great, but on more normal levels, like 75 - 80 db they tend to "hide" the detail, especially evident in the detail of the Bg's.
    A Good "loud" subwoofer made #1 weakness go away, and since I like to crank the volume anyways, they are perfect! (for me :D
    They are really the best I could and were willing to afford, and so far I'm very happy with them and will recomend them highly.

Hugo de la Cerda
    Re-recording mixer