1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

dynaudio monitor question

Discussion in 'Pro Audio Equipment' started by keph, Jan 11, 2004.

1. keph

keph Guest

I am going to upgrade my monitors and am looking at the usually brands; Mackie, Adam, Genelecs and Dynaudio.

Very curious in the Dynaudios, do any here have any experience with them? I am looking at either the BM6 or 15 series and then the active verse passive versions.

I would like the BM15 but the active versions are $1500 more than the passives. Has anyone compared the actives verses the passives with Hafler or similar amp? Same question on the BM6?

In general I trust that the Dynaudio engineers are best suited to match an amp to their monitors and would think the actives are the best choice. However, I was wondering if any knows how great a difference if the passives where matched with a quality amp.

The cost between a set of BM15 actives and passives with a Hafler P4000 is about $900. The difference on the BM6s is much less, in the $300 range.

I hope to be able to be able to AB them myself, but the only place that has the series brands I want to check out is a couple hours away and I am not sure whether they will let me test several amp setups.

2. headtuned

headtuned Guest

I have the Dynaudio BM15a and love them. I think they are better than the mackies or genelecs in
    this range of nearfields.
    A lot of people i know would prefer the ADAM P11
    today.

greetz

Headtuned

3. Jonesey

Jonesey Active Member

I have the BM6a and they work great. I believe the BM15's are considered a nearfield/midfield speaker, so it depends on how large your control room is and what your trying to accomplish. I find the BM6a's work for me. My control room isn't that large, but if you need something with a little more power, the BM15's may be the way to go.

4. hbjhbj

hbjhbj Guest

I have the ADAM S3As and they are stunning. Every day I'm shocked at what I can now hear.

5. robchittum

robchittum Guest

I own the BM6a's and I absolutely love them. My mixes translate on everything, and it didn't take me long to learn them. I didn't have the opportunity to compare them to others because I don't live anywhere near a place that sells them. I did something I typically don't do on a piece of gear this expensive and went solely on the recommendations of those on this site. I know lots of folks that use the Mackies and love them, but I just read too many negatives from people whose opinions matter to me on this site. I would love to hear the 15's, but I don't see how they could be any better. Good luck. Also, PM me if you want to know where I found the best price. I found a pretty wide range of prices out there.

Rob

6. Tenson

Tenson Active Member

I seem to remeber someone saying they liked the passive BM15's much more than the actives. I think they had a Hafler amp.

What you have to remeber is that just because a group of designers know everything about building great speakers doesn't mean they know jack about good amp design.

I am not saying which I like because I have not heard either! Just pasing along what I have heard.

I know a lot of people who love the BM6a's. Personally I would try and get an active pair over passive.

Maybe you could take a listen to some PMC stuff like the TB2s?