1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Edirol PCR-A30 capabilities?

Discussion in 'Recording' started by appleking, Jun 15, 2005.

1. appleking

appleking Guest

hey folks!
    ok...so i've done a search, i've scoured the edirol site and i can't figure out if i'd be able to get input guitar and a microphone through the edirol PCR-A30 audio interface...can anyone tell me?

2. knightfly

knightfly Active Member

Jan 18, 2002
    Not an easy answer, apparently; only thing I see is that there is only one pair of "stereo" inputs, yet their spec says

Input Impedance
    LINE: 27 k ohms
    GUITAR: 680 k ohms
    MIC: 27 k ohms

From that, I'd have to assume :roll: that you can switch the input to one of three settings; line or mic, both at 27k input impedance, one with a built in attenuator for the hotter line in levels, or guitar at 680 k ohm input impedance (so it doesn't load your guitar pickups) - in any position, you would have L+R channel inputs but BOTH would be the same, so I doubt it's possible to use ONE channel for guitar in and the other for mic input.

Only way I know that you could do that would be if you have a small stomp box that puts out line level, and another small mic preamp that also puts out line level. Not the most elegant way to go... Steve
  3. appleking

appleking Guest

THANKS knightfly!

i was thinking of getting the m-audio firewire solo:

and a separate keyboard controller...it would cost more, but it seems as though, in the long term, it would be a better investment: better sound and more stable recording...

any thoughts? :?