1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

effect commonly used in hip hop on vocals..?

Discussion in 'Vocals' started by pfactionbrett, Apr 29, 2009.

1. I'm trying to figure out what it's called, and how it's achieved, but it's hard to describe or give an example as I dont usually listen to this style of music but I may be able to find one if all else fails.

It's usually used in rap and hip hop on vocals and it makes them sound all de-tuned wierd and synthed. Anyone?

2. Codemonkey

Codemonkey Well-Known Member

Autotune.

edit Maybe this helps: {old-link-removed}

3. dvdhawk

dvdhawk Well-Known Member

I think Monsignor Monkey is right, here's another example posted recently:

{old-link-removed}

4. thanks guys...It seems since I am a melodyne user im out of luck with my current arsenal then?

5. audiokid

audiokid Staff

and here:

{old-link-removed}

[youtube:821a4436cc]http://www.youtube.com/v/WNUWUvgy_Mk[/youtube:821a4436cc]

6. TheJackAttack

TheJackAttack Distinguished Member

You need them to be more out of tune?

You could also play with a flanger and a vocoder and see what you come up with. Also try the ping pong delay.

7. Man, when did this type of processing become popular? At least try to hide the pitch correction.

8. Codemonkey

"when did this type of processing become popular?"

Do you own a radio?

Try turning it on in the last few years.

9. That's funny, because i don't own a radio. If i had one and that stuff came on i would probably get rid of it. But then again the music i listen to probably gives people head aches as well. :lol:

10. Codemonkey

What gives people headaches faster:

Autotuned limited crap on the iPod at 100dB, or
    Your music?

11. ryanmoge

ryanmoge Guest

i use cubase, and in cubase there is a pitch shift process. it basically drops the vocals down or brings them up in whatever increment youd like (eg. half step, whole step, octave). i'm pretty sure im safe in assuming your talking about the "mike jones" BS thats out right now, where everything is dropped so low it sounds like satan.

hope this helps.

12. Codemonkey

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm no.

13. bent

bent No Bad Vibes! Well-Known Member

I split for almost a year and boom, a current topic linking back to another discussion we've had about Autotune.

How funny is that?

14. Codemonkey

The world would be as well upside down just now.
    None of this is making any sense, and bent shows up?!

I AM CONFUSE.

Anyway how you been bent?

15. bent

I've been well, how's the audio at your place? Any major buzzing lately?

16. Codemonkey

Oh just me buzzing around.
    I actually fixed some buzzing on the deaf-people-loop by slapping a DI on the feed.

We had a youth event up at a local school, a recording engineer who goes to another church showed up (we provided the PA) and I learned a helluva lot from his EQing.

Amazing how when you think you have it sussed, someone pushes the 12K and you realise exactly what you've been missing.

17. bent

Haha.

Good to hear from ya.