1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Eggcarton Matress Padding

Discussion in 'Recording' started by brentalous, Nov 21, 2007.

1. brentalous

brentalous Active Member

I don't have the funds at least right now to buy the real sound foam, but do you think getting a couple of those eggcarton mattress pads for my garage would help a bit? Any other suggestions would be great! Thanks

2. jonyoung

jonyoung Well-Known Member

They'll definitely suck up midrange/high reflections. I use them in my control room as sidewall absorbtion when I mix to reduce/eliminate early reflections. Moving pads are another option.

3. taxman

taxman Active Member

Safety is an issue.

The professional foam is fire retardent. There there was a major tragedy involving innappropriate foam in a club several years ago.

4. brentalous

brentalous Active Member

Eh I'm not so much really worried about anything catching fire, but if the stuff works I'll get it. Is there anything else thats cheap and good to use ? Please post. :) :)

5. BobRogers

BobRogers Well-Known Member

Unless you live alone in a house that is detached from your neighbors, fire safety is not just your worry. I think all bedding material has to be rated for fire safety, so you can look up the specs on the foam you are looking at.

The best cheap per square foot stuff that I know of is rigid fiber glass like Owens Corning 703 and 705. Not quite as easily available or as easy to work with as some other things but it's good, cheap, and safe.

6. pr0gr4m

pr0gr4m Well-Known Member

Sponge! That's right, sponge. Sponges...they aren't just for dishes anymore.

Hit your local dollar stores and buy up every damn package of sponges that they have. Pick up some glue while your there too.

Open all the bags of sponges into a pile in the center of the garage. Give everyone in the band a bottle of glue and then start tiling the sponges on the walls.

The yellow sponge is very common and great at absorbing requencies in the 8-10k range. Blue sponges are excellent for the upper-mid requencies. Green sponges (although hard to find) are superb absorbers of high requencies from 12-20k.

If you can find them, the sponges with the scrubber pads on one side are great. Glue them with the scrubber side out. The scrubber will "scrub" out the low requencies and the high requencies will pass through to be absorbed by the spongy part. They are a great dual purpose sound absorption device.

Happy recording and happy thanksgiving.

Tongue-in-Cheek Productions

7. brentalous

brentalous Active Member

Sponges!! Wow that never even crossed my mind. But so far so good, thanks for the ideas!

8. pr0gr4m

I forgot...

Sponges tend to dry out and get hard. This decreases their absorbtion capabilities. The good thing is that when this happens, you just spritz them with a little water and they are good as new.

There's a little known secret in the sponge absorbtion community. It's called waterlogging. Many 'spongers' will apply large amounts of water to the sponges, waterlogging them. What this does is increase the requency aborbtion range of the sponge...downward. For example a yellow sponges requency aborbtion range would increase from 8-10k to 4-10k. It's great if you can only get one color of sponge.

9. jonyoung

What about mold formation from the moisture???

10. Haha. It's hilarious until you make this poor guy go out and spend lots of dough, pr0gr4m.

11. pr0gr4m

I knew a guy who thought that dollar store sponges were too expensive too. He took a trip to Australia to go diving on the Great Barrier Reef and gather his own sponges. It's a well known fact that the natural sponge increases a rooms dynamic range by 10-13db.

12. pr0gr4m

You would think that mold would be a common problem seeing as how there are sponges filled with water glued to the walls...and it is. But there are some cheap and easy things that can be done to combat the mold with very little sacrifice to the requency absorption of the sponges.

Tilex is a great way to kill and prevent mold in the sponges. That's right plain old regular Tilex, or the dollar store equivalent. It can easily neutralize and get rid of any mold in the sponges. It can also help to prevent new mold from growing if used regularly. Most people will simply mix bleach and water in a sprayer which can do the same thing at a much cheaper cost. If this is the way you want to go, a cup of bleach for each gallon of water should do the trick.

The only drawback to using Tilex or bleach is that it discolors the sponges which reduces the sponges requency absorbtion. If you are concerned about mold, but don't want to ruin your room acoustics, there is a product out there that can stop the mold without ruining the sponge, sodium bicarbonate powder. It's not hard to get but it can be expensive. It's the chemical used in many dry chemical fire extinguisher. Not only can it put out fires, it can stop mold in it's tracks and prevent it from coming back for up to 2 months. The only problem is that dry chemical extinguishers are much more expensive than a bottle of bleach. Also, it can be a pain to apply. You have to either empty out the room or cover everything up so that it's air tight to keep the dust from getting in the equipment. So most 'spongers' will use the bleach and learn to live with the recuency change of their room over time.

Happy Recording

Tongue-in-Cheek Productions

13. Kapt.Krunch

Kapt.Krunch Well-Known Member

No sponge-treated room would truly be asthetically complete without an assortment of the following strategically placed throughout the room. The overall effect will amaze and amuse your clients. These are especially great in corners:

http://www.plushfriends.com/spongebob.html

Kapt.Krunch :roll:

14. jonyoung

There is another drawback.....bleach stinks. I don't think my lungs would approve of sitting in a bleach fumed room all day. I'm sticking with the mattress pads. I only use them in the control room, no smoking policy in place and a fire extinguisher right next to me.

15. Groff

Groff Active Member

:lol:

Hope he picked up some corals too. Awesome diffusers. Ocean way acoustic treatment pack.

16. brentalous

brentalous Active Member

I'll second that, mattress foam sounds the best.

17. hueseph

hueseph Well-Known Member

Maybe this is baseless but one would think that matress companies would insure that their foam pads are fire retardent since people plan on sleeping on them. Just a thought. I don't know how that affects their usefulness or lack of in regards to sound absorbtion.