1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Electirc Drums vs. regular drums input to Protools LE?

Discussion in 'Pro Tools' started by slobizman, Jan 26, 2005.

1. slobizman

slobizman Guest

Got a question:

My son has a kind of small recording space in our old guest room. We've been thinking about making a larger room-in-a-room personal studio in the garage for a better recording space. But, it's damn expensive. I had a thought. Please tell me if it is worth considering.

I know the existing small space (13 x 14 feet) is not great for recording drums. But, what if we had a really good electric drum kit instead of a regular drum kit? Then, the size of the room would not matter. Would it sound as good? Would bands he might track be willing to use it too?

We would be inputing this into a Pro Tools DigiDesign 002R system.

2. Kev

Kev Well-Known Member

no
    but it could be a sound that is useful depending on music style
    it could also be of use to those doing pre-production work

Gut feeling is no
    it will again come down to music styles

I have an electronic kit and it is near impossible to get bands to use it ...
    Often when the band leaves I'll sit on the elec-kit and have a bash and a quick edit.
    :(
    the singer and guitarist will like it , even with cheesy drum sounds
    but the bass and drummer will get very long in the face.

they don't like to have their bad timing shown up
    and the drummer has never heard about tunning drums.

So much for your son to learn and recording good drums take all things to be in good condition
    room
    drum kit
    mics and pres
    and most of all
    a great drummer

If your son wants to learn a bit of drums and music production and arrangement for himself then I'd say get a cheap elec-kit ...
    otherwise learn about real drums and how to record them.

3. slobizman

slobizman Guest

Thanks for the reply.

I just wanted to make sure I was clear--I meant electric drums, not an electric drum machine.

4. Kev

Kev Well-Known Member

yes electric drums
    V-drum
    DT-xpress
    and many others at various price breaks in between

or even an Alesis D4 with misc drum triggers ... as I have
    including DIY drum triggers

5. Roey

Roey Guest

Electric drums can be great:
    You can rehearse at any time with no one complaining about noise;
    You can change the whole sound of the drumkit with a click of a mouse;
    And you can load to your sampler non-traditional samples and create grooves (which can be very exciting sometimes) you would never be able to create with one acoustic drum kit.

You might want to check out the following link to see what can be done with electric drums (check out the movies):

http://www.toontrack.com/demos.shtml

Nothing compares to the sound of a real kit, but recording properly an acoustic drum kit is one of the hardest things to do in a studio (kit, mics, room) and without the proper budget it will never sound 'professional'.