1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Engineering Audio

Discussion in 'Composing / Producing / Arranging' started by blaumph2cool, Feb 6, 2013.

1. blaumph2cool

blaumph2cool Active Member

I thought this was funny. Please raise your hand if you've had a similar experience.

2. Paul999

Paul999 Active Member

I had to watch that twice! LMFAO

I had a gig where a school wanted a school song recorded and it had a guaranteed radio spot but.......they wanted kids from the school to perform it! OMFG I literally had to fix every note on guitar lines I was so desperate that I retracked drums, bass and many backups later. On violin I recorded the violinist playing a major scale then I auto tuned it and wrote the line editing it in. Brutal editing. I call it the song that never happened. The live performance was.........interesting.

Anyway this video made me think of that story.

3. audiokid

audiokid Staff

4. audiokid

audiokid Staff

Its here now!

欧美æžç¬‘录音节目2-Life is hard for a recording engineer—在线播放—优酷网,视频高清在线观看

5. DonnyThompson

DonnyThompson Distinguished Member

Yeah, that video has been making the rounds of all the recording forum sites. It's destined to become a classic.

And believe it or not, I've actually heard worse. ;)

If you're in this biz long enough, it's inevitable that you'll do a session like that... LOL

-d.

6. RemyRAD

RemyRAD Guest

Last October up at Fabrice DuPont's FLUX Studios, he had some live entertainers. So I'm watching this guy sings some old 1930s/40s French cabaret songs. Well it looks like a guy? It sure as heck did not sound like a guy. At first I just thought somebody was fooling around like that video depicted? Nobody was fooling around! This guy got out sing most any woman I have ever recorded. Kind of like that Legrand Chayna Opera company some years back LOL. Yes I know I misspelled that. The voice recognition software doesn't know how to spell that either.

In reference to the other parody video, I had this piano bar jingle singer that sang everything almost a quarter pitch under. Not sure why he was even hired? I think he was a friend of one of the top sales guys or something? And I rode his pitch correction, in 1979, on the Eventide H-910 I had. So I was doing real-time pitch correction, and digitally, in 1979 to keep him on top of the pitch. Didn't matter what I did for his headphone feed. Always a quarter tone under. It was brutal.

Part of this payment was an agreement to cut him some demo songs with the rhythm section we used for the jingles. The copy I have retained is the real-time pitch corrected version. Everybody loved the way it all sounded. But then I switched off the pitch corrector. And that's what I gave him. Everybody asked me why I did that? It was simple. He cannot sing in tune. And I wouldn't want my recording of him to be nonrepresentative of his performance and delivery. Which is what everybody has done today with thousands of no talents. And I don't buy into that kind of lowering of the bar. I worked to bring out the best that someone has to offer. When they have nothing to offer there is nothing for me to bring out. I won't do it. I did it for the jingles because millions of dollars over a period of years was on the line. And that pitch corrector also had a 36 ms latency to the real-time output. Which actually worked out quite well since this guy was also rushing the beat. And now he is on the back side of the beat which really made a huge difference in addition to the pitch correction. So I could really relate to both of those videos LMAO for sure for sure.

I guess that's studio is not booking and many people these days? They're producing comedy videos instead from the control room and the studio. So they've reinvented themselves in a very entertaining way and manner. After all... how else are you going to pay for a large SSL like that?

I'd really like to record that fat guy. Oy vey.
    Mx. Remy Ann David

7. TomLewis

TomLewis Active Member

The look on that piano player's face...