1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Entertainment business questions. Please help!

Discussion in 'Studio Lounge' started by Mguitar34, Jun 16, 2007.

1. Mguitar34

Mguitar34 Guest

Well my name is Matthew and I've lead (guitar and vocals) a band thats been very successful around my state, organized and ran many successful concerts and have been recording for my band and other bands for a couple years. (I'm saying all this just so you can know some background)

I just graduated highschool and am looking to major in entertainment business in college. I'm pretty sure of going to a school called IPR in Minneapolis, MN but I have a lot of questions for people who ACTUALLY work in the business.

I know their are many aspects to entertainment (or music) business but I'd like to hear from some people about what they do and if they enjoy it. What jobs would you avoid? Money isn't my biggest factor but I need it to live, what jobs pay well? (obviously I'll have to work awhile to see more money)

Anyway, ANY input about careers or advice would be awesome. I have a lot to learn about the industry and an open about future careers in it.

Thanks a ton,
    Matthew.

2. Mguitar34

Mguitar34 Guest

anyone?

3. Thomas W. Bethel

Thomas W. Bethel Well-Known Member

I love being a mastering engineer.

There are lots of good, no make that GREAT, jobs out there in the entertainment field. There are also a lot of crappy dead end jobs. If you find a job you love and are good at it you will prosper. If you find yourself in a dead end job that you hate then find something else. It is better to quit a job and find another than to beat your head against the wall everyday and be miserable no matter how much it pays. Get a good education including some basic business courses, learn as much as you can about the field you want to get into and start networking while you are learning. Contacts will always get you into jobs that no amount of pavement pounding will.

Best of Luck and let us know what happens....

4. Mguitar34

Mguitar34 Guest

can anyone redirect me to a forum that would have more information/more members that could help me with this?

5. Thomas W. Bethel

Thomas W. Bethel Well-Known Member

This is one of the best forums around. Maybe your question is too broad or people are having problems understanding what it is that you are asking them.

6. Spase

Spase Active Member

I live in Minneapolis and have been doing live sound for about 17 years. You can make some money at this, but its not great money. The biggest problem is that there are only 2 days a week with consistent work: Friday and Saturday.

The best way to make money is to be able to do many things. And also to invest in equipment. You'll make more running a show if you also own the gear. You can make more during the week if you have a studio (and of course clients). I have also made some decent cash doing theatrical shows. The work is slightly different than mixing a band, but a lot of the skills are the same. Be prepared to work a "day job" at first, as the work will get more steady as you get a reputation.

7. ebbnglo

ebbnglo Active Member

Spase is 100% right about Minneapolis and live sound. though there is usually plenty of voice over and video work to make up for the lulls during the week, but still I work a dayjob in IT/IS.

If you're coming to Minneapolis check out other schools too, IPR is just one of many colleges that have music, recording, business, reinforcement degrees in this town.

The other regionally obvious school is McNally Smith (used to be Music Tech). Also the U of M, MCTC and a varity of community colleges that won't cost you 60K for two for three years of school and have good facilities and faculty.

I'm not necessarily saying don't go to IPR, I do have friends that teach there, just check out other schools in town since they are all very different in flavor.

If you do go to IPR, try the sloppy joe lunch buffet at the Deja Vu gents club across the street. You might want to leave your parents at home for that.