1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

eq that does this...

Discussion in 'Recording' started by Imaginaryday, Mar 3, 2009.

1. Imaginaryday

Imaginaryday Active Member

Mar 15, 2006
    Washington, DC
    i am looking for a vst eq that allows you to zoom in and isolate a specific frequency without affecting the surrounding ones. is there such an animal?

merci in advance.
  2. GeckoMusic

GeckoMusic Guest

Any parametric EQ will do this. Crank up the Q.
  3. RemyRAD

RemyRAD Guest

Sep 26, 2005
    A parametric equalizer allows you to sweep to any frequencies you want.

Then you can adjust the "Q", which is the width of how many frequencies it will be affecting.

Then your boost & cut to dial in your respective tweak. Of course, in theory, you'd think this would work great and everybody would want it. But that's generally not the case except for George Massenburg. But even he's had to record & mix on lousy old Neve consoles with limited EQ. He still managed to make a good recording, in spite of those awful Neve consoles.

Cleaning my awful Neve console again
    Ms. Remy Ann David

A woman's work is never done
  4. Imaginaryday

Imaginaryday Active Member

Mar 15, 2006
    Washington, DC
    thanks for the input remy. i think i should have been more clear: i am looking for an eq with a super narrow notch. an eq with surgical precision.
  5. NCdan

NCdan Guest

Why? Is there anything wrong with the EQ's you're using? I'm not trying to be rude -- I'm just curious.
  6. pr0gr4m

pr0gr4m Distinguished Member

Feb 9, 2005
    South Florida
    Home Page:
    That type of EQ is sometimes called a Notch Filter.

I don't know if this one is any good but it's free so why not try it out.

You may be able to get more precise with a filter rather than an EQ...but lots of EQ's can get very narrow bandwidths. How narrow do you need this thing to be?
  7. MasonBlack

MasonBlack Guest

The Waves Q Parametric Equilizer can go suuuuuuper narrow.
    Follow the rabbit ---------> http://www.waves.com/Content.aspx?id=321