1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

EQing for older sounds

Discussion in 'Recording' started by dirtyword, Jun 19, 2004.

1. dirtyword

dirtyword Guest

I am interested in trying to replicate the sounds you would hear in a record recorded in the 1930's or 40's, that is, really lo-fi and tape hiss-y. How would I best go about EQing my tracks to replicate that sound successfully and authentically? I am recording on a computer using adobe audition. Any feedback would be really helpful.
  2. AudioGaff

AudioGaff Distinguished Member

Feb 23, 2001
    Silicon Valley
    I would go to someplace like a flea market or used electronics parts store and buy an old crappy mic and an old radio with an amp/speaker then pipe your source through that and re-recording it with the old mic (or something just as low fi) using very poor gain staging so the you get the worst case S/N ratio. Then continue to process in the DAW as needed.
  3. Ellegaard

Ellegaard Active Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Central Copenhagen
    Re-recording the music played back loudly on a very crappy ghetto blaster is an excellent good tip. For best results, place the ghettoblaster on the other side of a door and record it through a keyhole.