1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Equipment To Buy

Discussion in 'Recording' started by DKNUCKLES, Sep 25, 2007.

1. DKNUCKLES

DKNUCKLES Guest

So i've been thinking about starting up a basement studio, and I would like to decide what to buy so if I see it on sale I can pick it up. I would love to hear the opinion's of some people here to let me know what they think I should buy. I don't want super professional quality stuff, but I would like equipment that will give good sounding stuff. Here's what I figure I need so far...

1) 24 Channel Mixer (unpowered) - I dunno what brand i should look into, so opinions please :)

2) Microphones - Looking into Shure SM57 drum mic's and a couple of condensor mics to serve as vocal mics, overhead's for drums and amplification recording.

3) Mixer To Computer Device? - Similar to a firepod i suppose. Called DAW's? I need some help in this area please.

4) Computer Software - Open to suggestions here. I've heard quite a bit about Adobe Audition on this forum. I've also recorded at studio's with Pro Tools, Cubase LE and Albeton Live. Any suggestions as to what programs I could run? I've already got a computer built that will be able to handle any of these (minus Pro Tools which needs the hardware)

As you can tell I'm a complete newbie when it comes to being the one recording the music, however I'm not a newbie when it comes to being recorded. I've recorded 4 times from basement studios to professional ones. This is a complete learning process so please be kind.

I don't plan on recording anytime in the near future, but I would like to keep my eye out for some deals and pick up equipment at discounted prices when the option comes along.

2. Link555

Link555 Well-Known Member

What is your Budget?

3. DKNUCKLES

DKNUCKLES Guest

to be perfectly honest, I haven't really set a budget... Lets say something like the following

Mics - $1000
    DAW (if thats what they're called) $500-$700
    Mixer $500

hows that sound?

4. Link555

Well $500 may not get you a 24 Channel Mixer, You may be able to get a ebay deal on a mackie 24-8 Bus.

As for mics Grab the Apex SP2
    http://www.8thstreet.com/product.asp?ProductCode=24310&Category=Microphones
    it will get you started, when you are ready to mod the 460 give me a shout.

Analog to digital converter will cost a bit,
    http://www.zzounds.com/item--PRSFIREPOD

As for software:
    http://www.zzounds.com/item--STECUBASESX

Don't forget cables!

That will get you started.
    Best of Luck

5. DKNUCKLES

DKNUCKLES Guest

so i can plug mics into a mixer then plug that mixer into the firepod, which connects to my comp?

6. Link555

The firepod has 8 preamps, so won't need the mixer. How channels do you need to record at once?

7. DKNUCKLES

DKNUCKLES Guest

well i'm a drummer so i was hoping to do as many as necessary ...

What would i use to convert analog to digital if I wanted to use a mixer?

8. Link555

Same thing, yu would just need to use Line level inputs as opposed to mic level inputs.

What style of drumming?

For rock I can use up to 13 mics, but Often I get away with just 3. It really depends on your style.