1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Essential rack gear?

Discussion in 'Recording' started by Don Caballero, Sep 20, 2005.

1. I'm purchasing a compressor soon as was wondering how big of a rack I should I get and what other gear would you consider essential for tracking? I just want a small, portable setup so I can also do on location work. Thanks.
  2. sushifish

sushifish Guest

Look into quality pre's. Very important in the chain. I like the POD pro's for guitar and bass as well. Get a rackmount tuner! A good power conditioner.

Depends on how you're recording...
  3. I was just going to go with one of those cheap furman conditioners, should I avoid those?

I'm running everything through a Firepod so I don't really want or need alot of stuff, it's just I'm finding I need an outboard compressor for vocals and such and am wondering if I am missing any other essentials.
  4. maintiger

maintiger Distinguished Member

Dec 3, 2003
    Whittier, California, USA
    Home Page:
    A quality pre or two is certainly a must for your chain, even more than the compressor IMO.
  5. For now, the Firepod more than suites my needs in a pre. However I plan, when needs and money allow, to acquire a quality pre or two.

Also, I see you're in Whittier. I'm in La Mirada and am wondering if you know of any good audio shops around the area.