1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

EV-RE16's

Discussion in 'Recording' started by patrick, Jan 15, 2002.

1. patrick

patrick Guest

I have a pair of EV-RE16￾fs, which were recommended to me (a long time ago, before I knew anything at all about recording) as a good quality, fairly rugged mic for outdoor work under various climactic conditions. I know what these mics are, but now that I am interested in studio recording, I have a few questions.

(I am now working on my own music, which to date involves only synthesized sounds, so I can￾ft say much about specific applications at the moment, but in the future I would probably want to record vocals, spoken voice, amps/speakers, and a variety of acoustic instruments, including maybe piano, brass, winds, strings, and various non-western instruments and drums. Image-wise, think of jazz, folk, classical, various kinds of traditional music).

(1) What applications are these mics:
    - excellent or very good for?
    - good or OK for?
    - not so good for?

(2) I imagine that it would depend greatly on the sound source, but at what range of distances would these mics be usable? (They are described as super-cardioid, with greatest rejection at 150 degrees off axis).

(3) Specifications state an output of –56dB. In looking for a mic pre, does this mean that I should be looking for at least 56 dB of gain? (I am poor again, not for the first time in my life, so I will probably wait until the RNMP comes out!)

(4) Since I have these mics now (and since they are my only mics), what commonly used mics can I forget about adding to my collection, at least until I get all my other needs covered?

thanks!
    :)

2. Bear's Gone Fission

Bear's Gone Fission Active Member

The RE-16 is practically speaking an RE-15 with a presence boost for vocals. Should be good for electric guitar, vocals, and workable for acoustic guitar and percussion. Basically, use it where you would an RE-15, but be aware of that presence boost. Since you have those, you could probably get by without the Shure SM58 and SM-57, though you may eventually want the later, as it is a standard for stage and recording.

Bear