1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Discussion in 'Recording' started by patrick, Jan 15, 2002.

1. patrick

patrick Guest

I have a pair of EV-RE16￾fs, which were recommended to me (a long time ago, before I knew anything at all about recording) as a good quality, fairly rugged mic for outdoor work under various climactic conditions. I know what these mics are, but now that I am interested in studio recording, I have a few questions.

(I am now working on my own music, which to date involves only synthesized sounds, so I can￾ft say much about specific applications at the moment, but in the future I would probably want to record vocals, spoken voice, amps/speakers, and a variety of acoustic instruments, including maybe piano, brass, winds, strings, and various non-western instruments and drums. Image-wise, think of jazz, folk, classical, various kinds of traditional music).

(1) What applications are these mics:
    - excellent or very good for?
    - good or OK for?
    - not so good for?

(2) I imagine that it would depend greatly on the sound source, but at what range of distances would these mics be usable? (They are described as super-cardioid, with greatest rejection at 150 degrees off axis).

(3) Specifications state an output of –56dB. In looking for a mic pre, does this mean that I should be looking for at least 56 dB of gain? (I am poor again, not for the first time in my life, so I will probably wait until the RNMP comes out!)

(4) Since I have these mics now (and since they are my only mics), what commonly used mics can I forget about adding to my collection, at least until I get all my other needs covered?

2. Bear's Gone Fission

Bear's Gone Fission Active Member

Jan 4, 2001
    The RE-16 is practically speaking an RE-15 with a presence boost for vocals. Should be good for electric guitar, vocals, and workable for acoustic guitar and percussion. Basically, use it where you would an RE-15, but be aware of that presence boost. Since you have those, you could probably get by without the Shure SM58 and SM-57, though you may eventually want the later, as it is a standard for stage and recording.