1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

event 20/20v2 active vs passiveBAS.

Discussion in 'Pro Audio Equipment' started by impro, May 18, 2005.

1. impro

impro Guest

Are the monitors deferent or just the bas have amplification?
    What do you think about buying hafler TA1600 and event 20 20 passive.I do have active M1 but whant something better and don't have extra cash.
    Thanks

2. jonnyc

jonnyc Member

There seems to be three types of the 20/20's the passive, the V2 and the bas V2. the bas is biamplified and the regular v2's are not. I have the bas V2's and man they rock. Great monitors. Just to clarify the passives are not bas because they aren't amplified. Only the actives are bas and thats only if they are biamplified the regular 20/20's have just one amp per monitor not two.

3. impro

impro Guest

I am aware of that.
    My question is :
    Is the 20/20V2 and 20/20 V2 BAS the same monitors.Not if one has amp and the other one doesnt.
    I am asking about the construction,design.

4. shanabit

shanabit Active Member

This should answer your question: Tweeter diffs, freq response, corssover,connections on back, etc are different. Cabinet construction looks the same. I went with the BAS version myself after comparing and looking at a Hafler etc.

20/20™ Direct Field Monitor Specifications
    LF Driver: magnetically shielded 8" mineral-filled polypropylene cone with 1-1/2" diameter high-temperature voice coil and damped rubber surround
    HF Driver: magnetically shielded 25mm ferrofluid-cooled silk dome
    Crossover: 2.2kHz, second order
    Frequency Response: 50Hz - 20kHz, ±3dB, Ref. 500Hz
    Power Handling: 150W program, 200W peak per side
    Sensitivity: 88dB @ 1W, 1m Cabinet: 5/8" vinyl-laminated MDF Connectors: Red and black five-way binding posts on 3/4" centers
    Dimensions: 10-1/4" W x 14-3/4" H x 11-3/4" D
    Weight: 22lbs each

20/20bas™ Biamplified Monitor Specifications
    LF Driver: magnetically shielded 8" mineral-filled polypropylene cone with 1-1/2" diameter high-temperature voice coil and damped rubber surround
    HF Driver: magnetically shielded 25mm ferrofluid-cooled silk dome Frequency Response: 38Hz - 20kHz, ±3dB (-2dB @ 38Hz), Ref. 500Hz
    Crossover: 2.6kHz, active fourth order
    LF Amplifier Power: 130W continuous per side
    HF Amplifier Power: 70W continuous per side
    Input: Balanced; gold combination XLR - 1/4"; accepts balanced or unbalanced sources
    Input Sensitivity: 1.1V input produces full output with Input Level Control at maximum
    LF Trim: Continuously variable control; max boost/cut settings produce ±3dB @ 100Hz, ±2dB @ 400Hz
    HF Trim: Continuously variable control; max boost/cut settings produces ±3dB above 2.6kHz
    Protection: RF interference, output current limiting, over temperature, turn-on/off transient, subsonic filter, resettable mains circuit breaker
    Cabinet: 5/8" vinyl-laminated MDF
    Dimensions: 10-1/4" W x 14-3/4" H x 11-3/4" D
    Weight: 30lbs each
    [ Close This Window ]

5. impro

impro Guest

thanks
    Fostex 5 vs event 20/20v2 passive?
    Or some other monitors with simular price .

6. jonnyc

jonnyc Member

i believe i answered your question NO they are not the same monitor.

7. impro

impro Guest

yes you did...
    But my question is deferent

thanks
    Fostex 5 vs event 20/20v2 passive?
    Or some other monitors with simular price .

8. jonnyc

jonnyc Member

In my mind its a no brainer go with the events. You do realize I hope that you need a power amp for the passive events. I haven't heard anything good about the fostex and I have the active 20/20v2's and they rock.

9. impro

impro Guest

I realize that.
    I read about monitors but most od the cheep powerones are not very useful

10. jonnyc

jonnyc Member

yeah like the fostex. but my 20/20 actives like i said sound very very good. They slaughtered my m-audio bx5's in an a/b test.

11. zemlin

zemlin Well-Known Member

When I was researching monitors, the message I got from the reviews and opinions is that the 20/20bas are the only ones worth their salt. That the bi-amping and tight crossover makes all the difference.

I can't speak to that as fact - that's just what I heard "on the street". I bought the 20/20bas and am satisfied with them.

12. dpd

dpd Active Member

I have an older (5+ years) pair of passive 20/20's. Don't like them at all. YMMV