1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Event Opal Monitors

Discussion in 'Monitoring / Headphones' started by audiokid, Feb 21, 2013.

1. audiokid

audiokid Staff

I just received a pair of Event Opal and yippy yahoo is all I have to say. I've had my eyes on these for over a year and they arrived today. I'm obviously on the sonic honeymoon so I'm not going to be able to give a solid review on them for a while but my first impression is... NICE

They look beautiful and sound very well matched for my CM (18 x 24). The sound is what I hoped for, a clearer upper mid which will complement my other pairs. I have a good mix of monitors now. I feel I've been mixing too bright before, now lets hope I can achieve better mixes.
    I've read comments like they are weak in the mids but I have to say that the mids are are nothing short of the complete opposite. These sound really smooth and clear.

There is an array of adjustments and measurement software that comes along with these to tune the bass in more precisely so that's the next thing on my list to do. They look great and the build on them is just excellent.

First impression, I'm blessed. I'll be back here in a month with a more accurate opinion.

2. audiokid

audiokid Staff

Just finished room measurements and calibrating them. Cool software, real easy to set-up. Here's what my room gets for low end measurement:

L
    LEFT-SIDE2.jpg

R

RIGHT-SIDE.jpg

Both

BOTH-4.jpg

I think I can lift the dip at 60hz. Would you worry about it being any flatter?

3. audiokid

audiokid Staff

Event EQ Mesurement
    http://www.eventelectronics.com/studioeq

Just wanted to share more information and visuals on the Event EQ software for us. Check this. I moved the Opals in 1 foot, raised them 4 inches and here are the measurements.

leftside3.jpg

L2

rightside2.jpg

R2

Room

room3.jpg

Everything sounds great. Two thumbs up on this software!

What an excellent tool and confidence builder knowing what I am hearing is this accurate in my room. I have 13 RealTraps plus foam so it obviously helped. I never though my mix room was this right on though. I've marked the sweet spot for height and distance to mix. Slick.

This software works for any set of monitors.

Lol, I can't even listen to my other speaker anymore. These are that good.

No BS here:

4. pan60

pan60 Active Member

i have wanted to give those a listen for some time: )~

5. audiokid

audiokid Staff

A bit more tweaking I've managed to almost flat line it. Raised them 3.5 inched more and I got this:

Control Room

R4.jpg

These Rock.

6. RemyRAD

RemyRAD Guest

Chris it almost looks like you've done too good a job in bass trapping your room? That's cool. I mean it looks like a laboratory device. It is rather intriguing. Someone's got to come up and compete with those Danish speakers. Are these also one of those like molded aluminum alloy cases/boxes?

They sure don't look cheap?
    Oh you know who.

Oh yeah I just watched the video. I think I heard those in Nashville at the show and they were good. It truly gets away from those old 4311 sounds LOL. I don't think I'd turn a pair down.

7. pan60

pan60 Active Member

wow!
    sweeet: )

8. pan60

pan60 Active Member

i am never getting rid of my old JBL's they my live out life in a closet but i am keeping them: )~

9. audiokid

audiokid Staff

We definitely get used to our sound. And if it works for you, it works.
    But, I can honestly say I thought that too until these arrived.

Remy, surely you can't be serious. That's what 13 RealTraps in well designed CM with angles and the right position gets. Ideal for mixing. I believe these are Made in OZ.

I've been listening to mixes from Grammy Award engineers I trust . Their mixes sound great on these. So, what a confidence builder for me.

I am so impressed by these and this software and they are only $3000 CDN. I say they live up to the hype.
    Conformation on how vital better monitors are. Wow.. My other monitors are nice, but nothing like these. I feel like cotton just came out of my ears. My other NF monitors are nice ( Neumann KM120, Dynaudio BM6A) but nothing like these. The difference is huge.

These are staying. I wish I did everything I'm taking very serious now, 10 years ago. I've always been aware of great acoustics but never took the monitors and how you set up your monitoring chain serious enough.
    I put money into gear when I should have invested in a better speakers and monitor controller system. I would be way better off now. But, the products are better now too.

Now its going to get fun. :)

10. Davedog

Davedog Distinguished Member

Great. More money for me to spend........

11. pan60

pan60 Active Member

LOL
    As that wife says, oh great, thats going cost at isn't it!
    How do you know darling?

I can see it in your drool darlin!

12. Makzimia

Makzimia Active Member

Some of the best money you can spend along with the other needed things IMHO. Just breaking mine in still, definitely the bomb!. I do have one possible gripe, that may or may not hit me in the future, new version is voltage fixed at factory.... :(.

13. audiokid

audiokid Staff

What do you mean, 220V?

14. audiokid

audiokid Staff

http://www.eventelectronics.com/studioeq

15. Makzimia

Makzimia Active Member

Yeah, or in my case 110-120, but it shows 50/60hz and 2amp. I am presuming they have now made them hardwired on the tranny instead of a switch. Perhaps it was cheaper, or the switch added an undesirable element in the original versions?.

16. ChrisH

ChrisH Active Member

If only somewhere here in utah had these to listen to.

17. audiokid

audiokid Staff

I cannot imagine not loving Opals but like Donny put it so well, monitors are like shoes. If I could describe them, they are very much like full range. They have a great punch and the top end is hi fi sounding but not exaggerated. They are an excellent compliment to what you have now. I personally think my mixes translate very well. If you don't like them though, the used market is poor. You will loose a 1/3 right off the bat.

18. Makzimia

Makzimia Active Member

Only just finished new reading after setup. I just captured both as they are after setup. As I said before, not great. And I can compensate for those anomolies.
    Considering the room I started with, I think it's great though.

Screen Shot 2015-01-13 at 11.46.47 AM.png

19. audiokid

audiokid Staff

Not bad at all. I recall a similar hump around 160/ 220 and a dip in the 80hz's like this too. Just moving them a bit and playing with the curves on the speaker settings balanced it a bit more. I also analogize each side. One side can be quite different from the other. Is this both together?

Kudo's.

20. audiokid

audiokid Staff

My bad
    I see its both