1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Ever do Sound Reinforcement?

Discussion in 'Recording' started by TeddyG, Jun 26, 2005.

1. TeddyG

TeddyG Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2005
    I do, on occasion, a bit of SR - in a rather minor-league way...

Last year, the guy who I work with(Who actually owns the gear, I just haul it all over the county, sweat-it-up and run it.), presented me with a new 4 xlr mic channel powered mixer, by Yamaha. Did I grown when I saw it? Yes... It is very "plastic", very lightweight, very... no I won't say it - because it isn't true, sort've... Yes! The damned thing is CHEAP!!! There, I said it! I'm not sorry either!

Of course, I had to use the thing, just to see, so my sure-to-be complaints had legitimacy. Well, I am completing my second year with it. I only do about a dozen events for 3 weeks a year, during the Lancaster(PA) Arts Fest, though the other guy uses it throughout the year for other, again rather minor, things(Don't tell him I said that!)...

Anyway, the darned thing works beautifully! Sounds great! Features function!(Though I don't actually USE the included efx... I guess I could, if needed, to some degree..? "Gene Galligan's Puppets" has his own efx box...). Anyway, we will be moving to the 8 channel version next year and we are both looking forward to it. NOT the kind of thing I would take on the upcoming "MJ - Nah nah Nih nah nah!" World Tour(I think the other minor league sound company in my town - Clair Brothers - I live in Lititz, PA, has that gig anyway?), but to keep in the closet, for yourself, and pull out once in awhile to use with a nice pair of speakers(We use up to 15" full range with it and cover alot of territory quite well.), the thing is great!

I don't remember the model # at the moment - just look for the cheaxxx, I mean Least Expensive Yamaha powered mixer - there it is! Good stuff! I keep my old boat-anchor stuff in the truck - just incase... And when the "Y" breaks, give it to your neighbor kid down the street(WAY down the street - it has pretty fair power!) and pick-up another.

Teddy G.

One "customer comment" - last night. Did a "rag time" group from Baltimore. They gave thankx and compliments on the system - to the audience - for my "not trying to make them sound like a rock band..." Of course I had to slam-in the onboard reverb and turn it up all the way - just took a second or two, while the leader continued to talk. Prompted a bit of a chuckle from everyone-un-un-un-un(Even the folks in the audience who seemed to be able to well-remember the "ragtime age"... Like I said, the features DO function...... Nice unit.