1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Exchangable capsule mic for home use?

Discussion in 'Pro Audio Equipment' started by johannes, Apr 13, 2001.

1. johannes

johannes Guest

I'm looking to buy some mics for home studio purposes (vocals, guitar,...) in a 8 channel HD-recording setup. I'm planning to use my Tascam 1508(?) for mic pre's. I'd spend about $800 to get some mics. I can't afford the big bucks for getting a Neumann etc.

I'm considering the AKG Blue Line (C300B) mic's wich have exchangable capsules for different patterns. Is this a good idea?
    I'd get two bodies, one omni capsule, one cardio cap, and one fig8 cap. Does that make sense? It would enable me to do MS mic'ing, but not XY (unless I'd buy a second cardio cap later on).

Is getting some more sm57's a better choice?

Comments welcome!
  2. Bear's Gone Fission

Bear's Gone Fission Active Member

Jan 4, 2001
    I've never heard of anyone being horibly impressed with the blue-line stuff, and would avoid it. I'd look into Oktava MC-012's and the Lomo M-1 and M-3 heads that the Sound Room sells for them. (http://www.oktava.com) I haven't tried the MBHO mics, but they look like a contender, and you likely have a distributor relatively near you.

Unless you have need specifically for 57's, IMHO diversify the cabinet. I think that in most cases 2 are plenty for any studio.

da Bear