1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Explaining word clock

Discussion in 'Pro Audio Equipment' started by smog99, Dec 15, 2004.

1. smog99

smog99 Guest

Hi All,
    This may be a dumb question, but do I need a master clock source in my setup ? I'm using 2 digimax 8 ch pres (lightpipe) as well as 4 analong inputs into an RME Hammerfall card, and recording to Nuendo. I don't hear anything weird but some other reading has got me concerned.
    Thanks in advance

2. johnwy

johnwy Well-Known Member

I personally believe that a good master word clock source is a nice addition to any DAW setup and can definitely help in critical situations. If you don't have any other digital gear other than your pre's (presonus right?) you can probably get away without one.

The next time you record/mix/whatever I suggest, if you can, is to rent (or borrow a friends, or audition one from your local dealer, steal, whatever) a word sync generator to do an a/b test. If you hear an improvement, great. If not, don't bother buying one.

3. smog99

smog99 Guest

maybe I will

Thanks John. I will borrow one this weekend. But it's importance is in the recording stage and not the mixing stage correct ? I am mixing 100 % in the box.

4. johnwy

johnwy Well-Known Member

It is certainly critical at the a/d converter and less critical at the d/a converter since one argument is that you can have better equipment at the d/a.