1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

external drive 7200rpm but without sony oxford chip

Discussion in 'Recording' started by SeniorFedup, Feb 23, 2007.

1. SeniorFedup

SeniorFedup Guest

are these worth buying
    i run nuendo waves and some sample libraries . but some guy at guitar centre told me to buy the more expensive(wayyy more) drives with the oxford chip or protools and maybe some other stuff wont run on it.

is this a marketing ploy? or should i really consider just how important this .....oxford chip really is.
  2. SeniorFedup

SeniorFedup Guest

HELP you are my only hope...
    plus the rebate sale ends in a few days.
  3. gdoubleyou

gdoubleyou Distinguished Member

Mar 19, 2003
    Kirkland WA
    Home Page:
    No it's not a ploy, the Oxford chip is the benchmark of the spec. other chips may not support all features.

the chip is not on the drive itself but should be parte of IDE-firewire bridge in the enclosure.

What is more expensive, being cheap or having a drive that is not fully functional?

4. dementedchord

dementedchord Well-Known Member

May 11, 2006
    hmmm... i'ld never heard of the oxford chip... may or maynot mean anything.... but you said specificlly sony oxford in your title and that i have heard of... and that has nuthin to do with hard drives... it does have to do with a really great digital board and some plugins derived from same... caveat emptor...