1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

External Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Recording' started by FootPrints, Aug 5, 2007.

1. FootPrints

FootPrints Active Member

Hey everyone, I just bought a Macbook with an 80 gig hard drive for recording. I'm planning on buying a 7200 rpm external hard drive, but the firewire input on the computer will be used by my interface. Would a USB hard drive be fast enough to record with?

2. HansAm

HansAm Active Member

Yes. No problem. USB 2.0 is like 400mbps or someting? Thats 50MB/Sec

3. dementedchord

dementedchord Well-Known Member

should be no prblem with the possible exception being thar as i understand it usb uses a system that allocats resources to things even if they're not being currently used... in otherwords you dont want to hang a bunch of perriferal crap like printers on it while recording... make sense???

4. cfaalm

cfaalm Active Member

You can daisy chain FW devices.
    I have a MacBook too. I plug in like this

MacBook <-> 01v96 w/ mLAN card <-> FW drive

no problemo.

To be flexible I bought an external housing that has both interfaces FW and USB.

5. FootPrints

FootPrints Active Member

Thanks for all your help! Cfaalm, what is an mLAN card?

6. cfaalm

cfaalm Active Member

This is an mLAN card. It is one of the options to connect a Yamaha digital mixer to the outside world and fits into the slots of Yamaha digital mixers like the 01v96, DM-1000, DM-2000 etc. This one connects to the FW bus of your computer, much like the standard FW interface on those Mackie or Alesis mixers. mLAN stands for musical Local Area Network. You can find more about mLAN here.