1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

External Harddisk

Discussion in 'Recording' started by jX, Nov 24, 2006.

1. jX

jX Guest

hey, wasn't too sure where to put this but i'm looking for an external harddisk to purchase.

Been looking around and as i'm a PC user but am starting to work with a mac i'm not too sure on what hardware is good.
    not knowing where to get good equipment i just went to apple store to see what they support and found this item

G-DRIVE 250GB External Hard Drive

have any of you heard of the companys rep?

or would you like to suggest a good external harddisk that is reliable, fast and can do some good storing for audio recording :)

thanks

2. jonyoung

jonyoung Well-Known Member

I usually roll my own.....been using Maxtors steadily with no problems. I buy them and drop them into a Lian Li RH40 or RH58 drive caddy, then that assembly fits into a USB2 or Firewire case connected to my PC. Much less expensive than buying a ready made external drive. You can find all the component pieces at:

www.directron.com

I know many people are also partial to Seagate and IBM hard drives. Good luck!

3. MadTiger3000

MadTiger3000 Active Member

Thank you very much for the link.

That is definitely a nice $$$ return for just the time it takes to read a little and turn a few screws.

4. jX

jX Guest

Yeah for pc i usually also go for seagate, although is there some incapatability between pc harddisks and mac's?
    new to mac here

5. jonyoung

jonyoung Well-Known Member

Nope, a hard disk is a hard disk. What matters is the OS you format it with.

MT3k, you're very welcome! http://www.compuplus.com is another good source for bits & Pieces.

6. bpatram

bpatram Guest

removed

7. DIGIT

DIGIT Guest

>>have any of you heard of the companys rep?<<

I have been using their drives with excellent results. They have the BEST cases available, IMO. I have used and tried many, many cases and the G-Drives are the best.

You can even buy one with every connection to date: FW400/800/SATA & USB 2.0.

http://www.g-technology.com/Products/G-DRIVEQ.cfm

8. jX

jX Guest

Hmmm think ill go with the g-drive.
    seems like its a safe bet. Might be a little more change going out but it seems to be worth the extra money