1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

fast thru-put with new DualG4s?

Discussion in 'Pro Audio Equipment' started by zone12productions, Apr 8, 2002.

1. I am looking to graduate from a Beige G3, utilizing an adaptec 2940U2W card with a Lacie LVD9.1Gb scsi, to a new Dual 1Ghz G4. My concern is that the 2940 adaptec card is not supported in the new Quicksilver. Hence, I am trying to figure what kind of MB/sec the new mac is likely to give me with its' stock, 80GB ATAharddrive? What is the most cost efficient way to get 20-40MB/sec read-writes (or more)?
    Do I have to go scsi (and lose an arm and leg?)? what thru put is possible through the firewire port?
    Thanks for any help.
    Joseph Irwin
  2. RandomGuest

RandomGuest Guest

Feb 10, 2001
    There are people here who know a lot more about this than me... but anyway...

Is your LaCie SCSI or ultra-SCSI? And what software/hardware are you using?

The ATTO/EPCI card might be one solution. I got mine about a year ago for $330. It sounds like a lot, but you get twin SCSI ports on one PCI card (and it's recommended by Digidesign, if you're using PT). The ports can be SCSI or Ultra-SCSI (or one of each!)

In any case, I think you may find 9 GB doesn't go very far, especially if you are recording full bands in CD length projects. (Typically, my CD projects use anywhere from 12-24 GB of storage at 24bit/44.1k). If you're just recording solo piano, or guitar and voice you may be ok, but otherwise you're probably going to find yourself looking for a bigger drive in a hurry.

And make sure you budget for a back-up system. (On large projects, backing up to CD's can get very tedious.)