FATSO And Its Compressors!

Discussion in 'Compressors / Limiters' started by epicenter800, Feb 19, 2002.

1. epicenter800

epicenter800 Guest

I currently use an RNC and Cranesong Hedd for tracking my keyboards and Vocals into my DAW. I like the tube and tape emulations on the HEDD for both tracking and mixing. I was wondering if the compressors on the FATSO were pretty useable for tracking and the 2-bus. I'm not too sure is getting a fatso would be redundant since I have way to warm and fatten things up with the Hedd. The RNC is my only harware compressor and I've been looking for another one to add. So I guess my question is could I get enough out of the compressor in the Fatso or should I look elsewhere? Thanks in advance!

2. mixfactory

mixfactory Guest

I would say look elsewhere. Use the money and buy an excellent stereo unit.

3. bassmac

bassmac Guest

I wouldn't buy the FATSO just for the comps, if that's what you're asking. They are certainly usable, and were all I had for a while, but since they are a fixed attack and release, you might find them somewhat limiting too. You also can't bypass the harmonic distortion generator and use it as only a comp.

If you're getting all the harmonic distortion you need out of the HEDD, then you might want to get a more flexible comp. But if you want all the other goodies the FATSO has, then buy it for that, and the comps will be bonus.

4. anonymous

anonymous Guests

"but since they are a fixed attack and release, you might find them somewhat limiting too"

Limiting! (hehehe)

Yarz! :)

I belive there is a lot more to the world of compression on the Fatso if you take the time to expirement with sidechain feeds...

I haven't been to that world yet, but from the designers description at the NYC AES last Dec.. it's a nice place!

One day, (sigh!) I may go there..

:p