1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Favorite headphones for tracking?

Discussion in 'Monitoring / Headphones' started by Marcus, Dec 2, 2005.

1. Marcus

Marcus Guest

I need to get about 4 pairs. Something affordable - what do you use and what do you like about it? Thanks guys,

Marcus

2. Calgary

Calgary Active Member

I use Fostex T20s. They deliver fantastic sound for the price. For wireless, my choice for the performers, I like Sennheisers, i.e. the R65s, you can add multiple headsets to one transmitter:
    http://www.audaud.com/audaud/MAR05/component/comp3.html

Those are budget items, if you have some dough then definitely test out the Sennhesier 650s if you can:
    http://www.digitalhome.com.au/Home_Audio_Visual/Headphones/Sennheiser/HD_650_HIGH_END_AUDIOPHILE_HIFI_STEREO_HEADPHONE/518

Caveat: I'm no audio expert, just a beginner. But I read up before I buy gear and I'm confident the info I've provided above is reasonably accurate. I've seen T20s used in some very big studios. :cool:

3. TimRP

TimRP Guest

Right now we are just using a set AKG K44's, cost us $18 at fullcompass. Not very clear, not very flat, but good enough for tracking. I would like to try one of those moreme headphones and see what they are like, they are only $20-$30.

4. FoundSounds

FoundSounds Guest

I use sennheiser hd280s, but the listening fatigue is quite bad.

5. HD280's.

I've never had a problem with developing listening fatigue from them quickly, but I also use them at low levels.

6. jonyoung

jonyoung Well-Known Member

AKG K100's......but I don't think they make them anymore. They're a bit on the bright side, but being a bassplayer, that's good for me. I have 6 pairs, no one's complained about them.

7. johnthemiracle

johnthemiracle Active Member

akg 271. they sound great and even switch themselves off as soon as you remove them from your head...

8. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Active Member

The HD650's are wonderful high-end audiophile headphones BUT... they are open driver design. The original poster asked for suggestios for phones for tracking. I have the Sennheiser 570's which sound kinda nice but you can definitely hear bleedthrough from whatever you're monitoring when tracking vocals close up to the microphone.

9. mugtastic

mugtastic Active Member

sennheiser hd280pro. much isolation, comfort and pretty true (and enjoyable) sound. i've checked out a bunch of cheaper and more expensive cans and i'd still pick those.

10. axel

axel Guest

HD 280, worth every single penny.

11. tommyd

tommyd Guest

Here's a great price on the HD280's. $64 a set. I think shipping for one was about $15..two was something like $22. Kind of high for shipping, but still total price is better than you'll find anywhere.

(Dead Link Removed)

12. maintiger

maintiger Well-Known Member

sennys 280 for me as well... though I also have some cheap AKG K44's as well for xtra cans- nobody seems to mind but I do use the 280's for tracking (no leaks in the track!) :D

13. Ness

Ness Guest

I have 2 Fostex T20s and although they are a little bright i have yet to develop much listening fatigue while using them and moderately high levels.

14. Senn 280 HD Pro. Those are worth every penny that you'll pay for them. Great isolation, great sound and very comfortable.

15. xnatex

xnatex Guest

i used the akgs for a while, but being an old drummer, the ears aren't as good as they used to be, so i found that when i brought up my headphone mix to hear it, i got bleed onto the track from the play back, so now i use these cheap vic ferth headphones. they look like shooting earmuffs but they are head phones. they dont sound that bad,but for tracking drums it is easy to here the mix at a much lower level cause it cuts out the outside noise. i wouldn't suggest using them for mixing though!