1. Register NOW and become part of this fantastic knowledge base forum! This message will go away once you have registered.

Figured out MIDI, but some small glitches remain

Discussion in 'Recording' started by Confused, Feb 2, 2011.

1. Confused

Confused Active Member

Dec 26, 2010
    I now have Cubase running not too badly, and all the MIDI is going in and out. I have finally gotten the cables plugged in so the signal travels all the way through. The biggest obstacle here was my master keyboard (Roland A90EX), because I did not realize that in order to use the MIDI THRU port, you have to have the signal coming in MIDI IN 2, not port #1, as most would assume (including me). I fought with this for a long time, but have reached the point where it (sort of) works all right now.

Although I am running Windows 7 64-bit, I have Cubase 5 32-bit loaded now, as I thought it would work better with my older projects. Once I've done some experimenting, I may gingerly proceed forward with going 64-bit instead. The only problem there would be having to reload all my NI Komplete stuff, as it's just installed in the 32-bit version for now. It takes hours to put these libraries and apps in, but if it's worth it to go to 64-bit versions, then I'll put in the time and do it if I can be eventually rewarded with better performance. I was starting to think that my M-Audio Fast Track Ultra USB interface was the problem, and I was going to walk it back to the place where I bought it and exchange it for another brand of interface (and probably FireWire instead of USB). Now I don't have to do that, as I think it will work well enough to keep.

The problems I'm still having are these: I still get the odd MIDI hanging note that screams on by itself until I locate it on the keyboard, tap it, and then it stops. The other problem is the fact that when I have four or five MIDI tracks playing, there seems to be a slowdown happening, and the timing is going south a bit. It's like there's an overload in there someplace. Also, the green MIDI OUT bar on the Cubase transport bar pulses in a periodic rhythm when nothing's playing, as if there's a signal there someplace, but there is no sound being produced at that time.

Aside from this, I think I'm finally getting somewhere. I will now need to know how to change my username on this forum to something a bit more positive, and I'm by no means done posting. I will definitely be mentioning how things are going from time to time, but it's still great to be able to share and get support and encouragement.