file compression

Discussion in 'Tracking / Mixing / Editing' started by Hack, Oct 28, 2003.

1. Hack

Hack Active Member

What program are you using to compress your audio files for storage? Win-zip?

2. MisterBlue

MisterBlue Member

I'm not really answering your question but fact is that I don't compress them when I am archiving. Emagic used to have the "Zero-Loss Audio Packer" (ZAP) software but it doesn't seem to be offered anymore... :roll:
    I don't know of any other program that does a really good job at packing audio files, hopefully somebody else here will have a better answer ...

MisterBlue.

3. Aziel

Aziel Guest

I`m using a backup system from wavelab...is just incredible...is called "backup plan"...you can recduce a 1 giga file to 250 mega... :tu:

4. Hack

Hack Active Member

so what you are talking about is part of wavelab, right? Wavelab is made by steinberg? Steinberg makes Nuendo (what I got). I cant find anything about this in nuendo. I figured that there would be a third party progrram for this by now.

5. falkon2

falkon2 Well-Known Member

Couple of posts I pulled out of a soon-to-be-deleted thread

I'd like to append - I believe I mentioned it somewhere in that thread as well - never do lossy encoding onto material you will edit/reuse later on. Ever seen a photo that's gone through one too many jpg encodes? :)

6. by

by Guest

Sound Forge also had it's own loss-less compression, it works like it should, though I'm not sure how good it is compared to others..

7. Hack

Hack Active Member

thanks falkon2, I will look into all that.

please tell me to shut up if this about to get messy, but, what types of drives are you using? USB, Firewire, blahdrives. I am just talking PC here. I have been looking at some usb2 drives. But they seem to cost more than I want to pay considering the amount of space I need, or want.

So here is what this is all about, tell me if I am over thinking.

I want to record in one rig. Transfer the files to another rig to edit and mix.

I am thinking that I want one dedicated external drive for archiving pre-edit track files and post edit track files. Then another external drive for current project track files.

The decision seems to be... what types of drives and what type of compression. And I am think in terms also of what all this might do to my costs and what I have to charge clients.

8. falkon2

falkon2 Well-Known Member

What about plain-old CD-RW's? They give quite a big bang for the buck.